Filter (constructive criticism needed)

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/28/2006 6:40 am
This is the funky piece I was talking about in the Songwriting forum. I wrote it while I was trying to come up with lyrics for the last song I posted (so far, I've got ideas, and I just have to arrange them). I'm thinking about setting lyrics to this, as well, after I've finished the ones for the previous song.

This one's called "Filter", it's at the top of my Soundclick music page. It's only about two and a half minutes long, so I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what you think (and please do tell me if I suck and should stop posting music!).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=529572

Thanks, everyone. :)
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/28/2006 7:51 am
Well to be honest the way it sounds is what sucks. It sounds like the rythm is shaky and your ax is out of tune but that just might be the sound quality. That said, when you did the funky parts it sounded like it would've sounded really cool. Get some good recording stuff! You will be surprised how much better your playing sounds.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
capohead
capohead
04/28/2006 2:13 pm
Wot the bloke above me said.

Cheers

Dick
Where The Skeletons Dance CD available here.
From another Plaice CD available here.
Listen & buy single tracks from Tricks Upon Travellers here
My other tracks here
# 3
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/28/2006 8:40 pm
Thanks, guys. You're absolutely right, and I'm really sorry about the sound quality. I suppose it must get on your nerves, being asked to comment on music that you can barely hear! :o :o :o

I'm seeing my guitar teacher tomorrow for the first time in a while, so I'll ask him about recording equipment.

Thanks for listening, anyway.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 4
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/29/2006 10:29 pm
Holy freakin' carpo (if I may borrow your signature phrase, Akira ;) )!!

Was it one of you guys who actually downloaded this crummy li'l song of mine off Soundclick? WOW! If it was one of you, I shall rep you.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/02/2006 10:27 am
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusThis is the funky piece I was talking about in the Songwriting forum. I wrote it while I was trying to come up with lyrics for the last song I posted (so far, I've got ideas, and I just have to arrange them). I'm thinking about setting lyrics to this, as well, after I've finished the ones for the previous song.

This one's called "Filter", it's at the top of my Soundclick music page. It's only about two and a half minutes long, so I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what you think (and please do tell me if I suck and should stop posting music!).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=529572

Thanks, everyone. :)

I hate to inform you, my band already has a song called shredded cheese. You must choose another name. Ours is much shreddier, and much cheesier.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 6
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/02/2006 5:53 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI hate to inform you, my band already has a song called shredded cheese. You must choose another name. Ours is much shreddier, and much cheesier.

Damn! And there I was, thinking I'd come up with a clever name, when on the other side of the world, Bob to the Rescue had already invented it.

No worries, mate, I'll change it to my backup name - "An Indecent Indulgence". :)

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 7
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
05/03/2006 9:00 pm
I can never come up with names for my songs, I always get someone else to name them for me. Maybe next time I post a song, I'll get people from here to name it.

Anyway, onto the song. I can tell you're onto something here, but as people have said, the recording quality needs some work.
Now let me tell you about my recording set up, it goes like this:

My guitar --> My Amp ---> My Soundcard ----> Cool Edit Pro 2.0

This is a recording setup that I spent no money on. I did spend money on the amp and guitar of course, but I'm sure you have them already anyway. Plugging your amp directly into the soundcard doesn't give you the most realistic vintage sound, but it's been good enough for me. Cool edit pro 2.0 is a multitrack recording program and was aquired by downloading it from a legal* site. It's pretty outdated now anyway, it's practically abandonware, considering that Adobe bought it out and it's called Adobe Audition now.

*probably not legal
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 8
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/03/2006 9:21 pm
Thanks, Julian. :) At the moment I'm just recording with the voice recorder on the mp3 player, 'cause it's all I've got (what can I say? I'm a high school student, I'm poor! :o ), but I've resolved not to record anything else until I get a proper digital recorder thingy, which should hopefully be in the next few weeks.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.