Please Help Save The Internet

pure
pure
04/26/2006 12:05 am
Right now, a bunch of idiots in Congress are trying to break "Network Neutrality" and let telephone and communication companies control what you are allowed to see on the internet by increasing or decreasing the load time.

What this means is that, if this bill is passed, those companies can force it so only the websites they own or have invested in will load at normal speed, but any other site will be made to load extremely slower than dial up, thus making it nearly impossible to visit a site that isn't hosted by these companies.

In order to convince Congress to not pass this law, a foundation of many companies have formed together to create the Save The Internet foundation. In order to help this foundation out with preventing this bill from being passed, you can fill out a form on the site that you can send a letter to your state congressman and senators to convince them to vote against this law. I encourage you all to do this, for if this bill gets passed, the internet as we know right it will be lost, and replaced by ads.

please visit this site to fill out the letter, in which the site will automatically send the email to your senator or congressman:
http://www.savetheinternet.com
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 1
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
04/26/2006 12:39 am
First internet tabs, now the internet?!!!

W.T.F :mad:
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 2
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/26/2006 12:48 am
AOL already censores sites they deem offensive(by calling them "scam sites")

There will always be those looking to control sensitive information and contrary opinions.I doubt any significant obstacles will stop the growth of the internet and its value as a pool of ideas.
Try once,fail twice...
# 3
rockonn91
rockonn91
04/26/2006 1:29 am
i seriously doubt it will pass. but you never know nowadays.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 4
pure
pure
04/26/2006 2:26 am
sometimes i do not understand congress. they probably use the internet more than the average american. asking for this bill to pass is bringing doom upon themselves. inless they make their own internet provider and give themselves fast speed. but i highly doubt they subscribe to an isp already anyway. you know the government. they can get away with anything. they run america.
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/26/2006 8:17 am
Just a note:
The site mentioned is only available to those living in the U.S.
The campaign form makes it appear as if you can write in from any country but you end up getting this message...

We're sorry but it appears that you are not eligible to participate in this campaign. This campaign is designated for constituents of the targeted decisionmaker(s) and based upon your address, it appears that you do not live in an area represented by the targeted decisionmaker(s).
# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/26/2006 9:31 am
Why is it always up to Americans to save the world? /sarcasm
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
04/26/2006 10:11 am
Originally Posted by: magicninjaWhy is it always up to Americans to save the world? /sarcasm

being european it's little use for me to keep saying such things :p
= good music is good drinking =
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
04/26/2006 2:28 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaWhy is it always up to Americans to save the world? /sarcasm

Because we're the only ones stupid enough to risk world wide ridicule and increasingly poor public reputation to solve a particular problem (Saddam Hussein, Al Queda, etc...). If we don't... who will?

This whole internet stuff sounds ridiculous... I don't see why congress would pass a bill that has nothing to do with the general public besides hindering their accessability to the vital (and horrifically non-vital) information we seek everyday... The only thing I can think of is that someone in congress has got a little bit too much invested in a certain communication company and just wants to get richer... Which wouldn't surprise me... After all, this country is about money... how much you have or how much you don't have.

Oh, and the government wonders why the youth of our country don't vote... it's mostly because their stupid ideas... maybe this will cause an influx of youth voters... who knows? I think apathy has got a hold on us all...
# 9
rightturnonly
Full Access
rightturnonly
Full Access
04/26/2006 2:59 pm
I just finished the form ,and saw some other topics for consideration. If this happened I told them I would boycott high speed broad band. Hey! I pay for the speed i use.What gives anyone the right to this behavior ? This could be a good cover up.
PS. I understand congress only too well quote" I'VE BEEN AROUND YOU KNOW AND I HAVE SEEN, WHAT A SCAM" any one out there that has'nt registered to vote better get with it before it's too late..
RTO, REGISTERED AND ACTIVE VOTER
That's it boycott highspeed. AOL sucks. This is the kind of stuff that makes my blood boil. History has showh us that a good thing can't exist without a battle for survilel. There are so many issues that are too complicated or that we don't known enough about to make an informed decision. This Issue is one that we all understand, so there is no reason not to take a stand. This affects people of all ages and walks of life. RTO
# 10
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/26/2006 4:00 pm
Know what I think the whole world (specifically 'civilized society') needs? A year of chilling the frick out. I think everyone should walk around naked for a year, shouting obscenities at the top of their lungs and defecating on government buildings. Then after a year, we'd go back to our normal activities and nothing would seem upsetting anymore.

"Oh my god! That man said '****' on national television!"
"That's nothing! Remember last year?!"
"Do I ever!"
*uproarious laughter*

No more censorship.
# 11
rockonn91
rockonn91
04/26/2006 11:52 pm
earthman. again, i love you.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 12
pure
pure
04/27/2006 12:54 am
Originally Posted by: rightturnonly History has showh us that a good thing can't exist without a battle for survilel.

You know, where there's light, there's a shadow.

anyway the thing's only available to the US because only the US internet service providers will be given the power to speed and slow down loading times if this bill gets passed.
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/27/2006 2:19 am
It seems there are several >Bills< being worked on in both Houses, and none of them provide protection for Net Neutrality.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.