Finger excercises?

PowerChordWiz
PowerChordWiz
03/20/2006 4:01 am
Whenever Im playing my guitar, my pinky always seems to go off by itself naturally, and I never see anyone else's pinky do this when they play guitar. Is this a problem that I shouln't worry about or are there exercises that I can do to correct this.

On a related note, also when I play and I see myself in a mirror, my fingers lood very spread apart on the fingerboard. Like when I play powerchords or just playing individual frets, and again when I watch others they can keep their fingers together so again I dont know if its a problem or not, but it seems weird to me.
# 1
Fret spider
Fret spider
03/20/2006 2:43 pm
i dont really think its a problem, but i might be wrong

if you want to play fast u mite want to position your fingers as close to the fretboard as possible but otherwise i dont think it really matters.

if you want some exercises to play quicker learn some scales and play them up and down then just keep on one string but cahnge he order, then ascend 4 notes, descend 3 notes asend 4 notes. repeat this pattern.
# 2
Kole_Music
Kole_Music
03/22/2006 7:33 pm
This is actually a problem that all beginners and even some advanced players have and still deal with. It is NOT a good thing and it does effect your playing/performance. If your fingers (pinky in this case) are acting wacky and compensating for the movement of your other fingers, then that means you are not relaxed and there is too much tension. Tension will deter your progression as a guitarist and without relieving that tension, it is much harder to accomplish any technical goals you have set out for yourself.

My advice is watch your fingers very carefully when playing a technical exercise and if you sense any tension at all, make sure to relax. Play very slowly and stay AWARE of what you are playing and where your fingers are going to go next. This should solve your problem. Peace and Good Luck.

-Kole
-http://www.myspace.com/kolemusic
-Kole (Kyle Hicks)
http://www.KoleMusician.com
http://www.myspace.com/kolemusic

Composer, Guitarist, Instructor.
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/22/2006 8:22 pm
Steve Vai's pinky sometimes floats away, same with John Petrucci.

That's probably why Satch's legato is better...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/22/2006 11:08 pm
Welcome to the pinky club. :)
Mine does the same thing & always has. As soon as I press down with my first finger, my pinky shoots straight out. Even if I just hold my hand in front of me and press my thumb and first finger together, it still does it.

Basically, it slowed me down on certain things like shredding, which is why I took up tapping to begin with. You just learn to adjust and do things your own way.
# 5
j.a.m.
j.a.m.
03/23/2006 3:03 pm
my name is my initials and that is what I have ever done.Looking for a guy or two for original ideas.I am 41 yrs. old and am a vocalist by trade.My band (isplit up) was called strikkly wikkid and it is trademarked so no cute ideas please.I am getting back into electric guitar and keyboard,play harp and have bass on my synth.I have been so involved w/ the band so much but my lead guitar player ****ed up so bad on newyears eve that I have only had a short period of time to meet other musicians to bounce **** off of.originally from Fla 3 yrs.ago.I have a full working studio w/8 track on the way in 3 weeks but am prepared to go off in all kinds of directions for all original stuff.(been stuck in classic rock:with a heavey edge!!but I am open to all but rap or calypso styles.Not to put them down ,whatever it takes to express yourself is fine but may not be for me.I need sober minded,(we're all insane) but it would be nice to have some other ideas as I allready do.Get back anytime,JAM.I'm in Waterville.
# 6
Trinivalts
Trinivalts
04/12/2006 12:02 pm
I have thi pinky problem too, but i'm trying to get rid of that by playing slower. I found out that it's the skin that causes that problem. The skin on the pinky is not so smooth as on the other tips. I dunno maybe in time it'll become more smooth.
# 7
Fret spider
Fret spider
04/12/2006 7:30 pm
my pinky also floats but it sorta needs to otherwise when i hammer-on it isint load enough cos i got a small little finger :( . so i need the room to get the finger movin. it doesnt seem to slow me down to much and i do use it quite a lot. on the other hand it is possible yours floats a lot more than mine.
# 8
MFerguson
MFerguson
04/12/2006 7:45 pm
I had, (and sometimes still do) have the same problems. What helped me was to learn to the the Spock greeting (from the ORIGINAL Star Trek for you youngins) (like a peace sign with your middle and ring finger, then change to the reverse of that. (ring and middle together, pinky and index spread apart)
You can practice this anywhere, in traffic, class or where ever you are)

You have to teach your fingers to move independently. Concentrate...you can do it....
# 9
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/12/2006 9:18 pm
You'd have to check my high bandwidth videos to see what my little finger is doing.
One of these days I'll do a video showing it flipping up automatically....
Actually, I'll do one now... nuthin else to do.
Keep a look out in the next hour or so.
# 10
aloooo4004
aloooo4004
04/13/2006 9:48 am
very hot subject .... hopping count, of the best selection\
# 11
Nick Layton
Nick Layton
04/14/2006 5:14 pm
The thing that fixed my pinky is the exercises in the Vinnie Moore video: Speed, Accuracy, and Articulation
http://www.nicklayton.com
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.