Truss Rod

PowerChordWiz
PowerChordWiz
03/15/2006 8:39 pm
Whenever I play my guitar, the strings make a rattling noise that sounds like they are hitting the frets. I took it in to my guitar shop and they said to adjust my truss rod, so i did. I have adjusted it up and down, and no matter where i have it adjusted, the strings always seem to rattle. It doesnt normally bother me because the rattling isnt picked up when I use distortion, but when I use a clean sound I can here the rattling somewhat.

Im not sure how to tell how far to adjust your truss rod. I need to know how you can tell if the truss rod is adjusted enough or not enough, or if there is another reason my strings keep rattling.
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
03/15/2006 10:48 pm
Unless you really know what your doing, leave the truss rod adjustment to a tech. You can easily snap the neck....

Only turn the truss rod a quarter turn at a time.....let it sit for at least 45 minutes to give it time to adjust and then play it to see if it's any better. Adjusting the truss rod is not an instant thing, it has to settle after you make the adjustment. If after the 45 minutes there is no change, turn it another quarter turn....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
SPL
SPL
03/16/2006 12:18 am
It could be a misaligned fret just as well. I suggest having it checked and fixed by a professional.
# 3
pure
pure
03/16/2006 1:44 am
if your frets are even and your action isnt too low, and your nut isnt the probalem, then its the truss rod.

you need to leave the neck with a little bow but it shouldnt be big... i mean a very small bow so that there wont be fret buzz. if you make it perfect straight, buzz will always be there. leave it with a little back curve...

and if your music shop told you to fix it yourself, then maybe they dont know what theyre doing.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.