How many track recorder?

Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
03/10/2006 7:30 pm
If i wanna record a band how many tracks should i have for a 1 take simutanous recording? Im guessing 2 for lead and rythym guitar, 4 for drums, 1 for bass, 2-3 for vocals... so thats about 11...is that correct? Is there anything im missing or someone can suggest? Also, i see all these stand alone recorders with virtual tracks...what are virtual tracks?
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/10/2006 10:47 pm
I normally go...
Drums:
2 SDC overheads,
1 kick
1 snare (some like 2)
1 per tom (3)
some people will use a separate mic for the hat.

(I have heard some really good ambient drum miking done with just 2 x SM57s, though that was not done by a beginner)

1 mic per vox

one each for the guitar and

2 for the bass (one DI (no effects) and one live) to be mixed together at a later date.

The most critical thing here is mic positioning. A really good idea is getting a pare of very good isolation headphones so that you can use to listen to the feed off a mic whilst positioning it.

Virtual track are tracks that live under the real track that is receiving the input for that channel. They are great for recording a second take but don't add to the number of tracks you can record at once.

The more tracks you want to record simultaneously, the more expensive the bit of kit will be. Also you will get more tracks @16 bit than at 24 bit.

This is why I moved away from the "studio in a box" type kit and started down the computer road. The Studio in a box deals are rock solid and work really well however thy do have many limitations like not being able to work with midi instruments and the number of simultaneous inputs they can handle @ 24 bit.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/11/2006 12:18 am
For recording everything live, you should look into a Hard Disk Recorder (the Rackmount ones). They run about 800 to 5000 US dollars. Stand-alone portastudios and Computer Audio Interfaces go up to 8-track simultaneous recording. The more expensive go to 16, but you'll need around 3000-4000 US Dollars.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/11/2006 1:14 am
Im using 2 x MOTU firewire 828mk MKs IIs which will do up to 20 each (with an extra ADAT interface and a mixer as they only have 2 pres each).

I think you are looking at a minimum of a Korg D3200 ($1299) or possibly a Korg D16XD which I think will do 12 simultaneous ins or a Rolland VS2400 ($2295) which will do 16 if you want to go the studio in a box rout.

And then there is the cost of the microphones which run from about $100 for a Shure SM57 to about 3k for a really nice LDC !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/14/2006 7:09 am
I have used Roland recorders and they are nice, although it's still only 8 simult. recording on that unit itself. You need another device to get 16, and then when you get the expansion board. The quality still drops alittle bit. Only 8-tracks can be recorded at 98kHz. The Korg D16XD is the same with 8 channels on board, 16 when you get the expansion board. Both products are great, basically what you pay for is what you get with them.

Rolands biggest plus and probably why you pay so much for them is because they come with "everything" you need to make a professional CD (they all say that, but Roland studios actually do it). A ton of extras that most portastudios have but not quite the extend and quailty. Such as 'modeling', and mastering tools that are simply amazing. Mastering tools are a very nice bonus, and do come in handy. The modeling however was something that you only need if you dont have the an amp, or a nice microphone.

Between the Korg and Roland, Korg to me was alittle easier to learn and begin using to it's full potential. On the Korg everything is basically there and ready to go, where as the Roland. You be doing some tweaking and engineering of the sound. Thus it may take you alittle while longer to get used to a Roland.

As for recording sound quality, they're about the same but with slightly different characteristics. May just be me but KORG sounds alittle smoother, Roland has a more modern sound to them. Definitely see if you can check them out personally. My friend actually thought the KORG recorded sound better than the Roland, I didn't.

The Computer end is definitely a good path to go down. There easier to expand on. However the better computer audio interfaces require that you have a reasonable powerful PC or Mac at your disposal. If you want to go that path, make sure to take a look at the requirements needed. Mac's are tailored made for such purposes, on a PC you'll want at least 2.0 GHz processor or better and a Gig or more of memory.

Hard Disk recorders are nice because it will record 24 simultaneous tracks. Then you can export them into any computer with a nice audio card (technique may very; USB, S/DIF, or Audio out to Audio in), and do all the mixing and editing on there. Basically your paying for the recorder and thats it. The only downfall with HDR's is the quality you need for a professional sounding recording is gonna cost alot of money. The 16-bit, 48kHz ones are actually pretty cheap but still sound great especially with a nice Audio card. The one I used was a Mackie.

In terms of all around purpose going the computer end is the way to go.

I hope that helps.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.