Getting a good recording sound...

sixstringshredda
sixstringshredda
06/26/2001 6:33 pm
I know you get great tone when u mic an amp, but where do u mic it? Anywhere I try, close centered, close side, far side, far centered... I jsut can't get a good sound from micing it.

also what is an appropriate amount of distortion for recording? I still want that "Heavy, scooped Mids" sound, but then my solos suffer.

I use delay a lot in my solos, and when i mic the amp it sounds terrible, the little delays sound like white noise.
(When I go direct its not a problem)

Is there a certain way your supposed to have ur effects setup for recording?
the prettiest white daisies
soaking up the red...
she always loved daisies;
but they look more like roses now...
# 1
Jon68
Jon68
06/29/2001 12:25 pm
I don't have any specific tips, only general. There is no "best" way to mike an amp. If you read Guitar Player (and probably the other mags) they often ask about studio setups in interviews. Some of the producers use close-miking, some run direct through a direct-recording tool (POD, etc.). You might try running two mikes - one close and one far AND run direct into another track. Then you might be able to mix the three sounds into something you really like.
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
06/29/2001 6:32 pm

Unless you're recording with other musicians, I would just recommend that you go direct.
# 3
sixstringshredda
sixstringshredda
06/29/2001 6:59 pm
I record with my band... But we all do our parts seperately.

would you guys recommend micing both guitarsist amps at the same time or should we record them seperately?
the prettiest white daisies
soaking up the red...
she always loved daisies;
but they look more like roses now...
# 4
Jon68
Jon68
06/30/2001 1:09 am
I would try to isolate and record them separately - you might also try putting them in a closet so that you can crank them without blowing everybody's eardrums. You can also isolate the tracks so that you can process them separately. It is usually recommended that you record without effects (or "dry") and then add the effects when you mix, but I like to record with a live sound and use multiple takes. I haven't been in a studio in a loooong time, but the last time, we recorded drums and bass first, using a click track when necessary to keep the timing right. Then we went back and added all the other parts, some played together and some separate. We had the guitar, keyboard and other instruments isolated so that we didn't get interference between the tracks. Then we could repeat an entire take for one or more instruments, punch in changes or whatever. The only problem that I had with this approach was that it felt that I was taking a briefcase to work - there wasn't a lot of energy like you get when your band is tight and you always know what everyone is going to do next.
# 5
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
07/05/2001 5:15 pm
I've wondered about this myself....I asked around and looked at pictures of all the old greats and everyone says to put it at a 45 degree angle right at the edge of the speaker. That's how I mic live or recording and I always get good results.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 6
NIGHTFIREBAND
NIGHTFIREBAND
07/10/2001 5:09 am
WHAT EVERY ONE IS TELLING YOU IS RIGHT..WHEN I SAW YOUR POST,THE 1ST THING THAT CAME TO MINDWAS "WHAT KIND OF MIC ARE YOU USING" I USE A SURE 57==WITH GOOD RESULTS.BUT THAT'S LIVE & IN THE CENTER UP CLOSE.YOU NEED A VERY GOOD MIC TO START WITH. GOOD LUCK....KML

AS FAR AS YOUR "DIS."===MANY GUITARIST USE AN EQ AFTER THE "DIS."UNIT. 10 BAND OR MORE-BUT 7 BAND WILL DO.I HAVE A 10 BAND EQ ON MY SET-UP AND IT WORKS....WHY?????
BECAUSE EVEN THE BEST "DIS" UNITS SOUND DIFFERINT THRU MANY AMPS.I CAN PLAY THRU YOUR "DIS." UNIT INTO YOUR AMP AND IT CAN SOUND VERY WELL-BUT I CAN PLAY YOUR UNIT THRU MY FENDER AND IT SOUND LIKE CRAP..IT'S NOT THE UNIT ..IT'S THE AMPS SOUND FROM THE SPEAKER...YOU NEED AN EQ TO DAIL IN THAT SOUND YOU'RE LOOKING FOR....GOOD LUCK....KML
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.