Fender Standard Strat woes

hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
02/06/2006 9:17 pm
So I go to the new Sam Ash music store in Phoenix to look at Peavey guitars, if you dont already know I'm a Peavey nut. Of coarse they are a dealer but dont stock them. So to make sure my 25 mile drive wasn't a total wash, I decided to try out some Fender Standard strats. I must say, what a disappointment...... I could not believe how poor the frets were, they would of cut my hands with prolonged playing. I was really disappointed. I would really like a Tele but would probably have to go up to the American series and I really think they are overpriced. Peavey does make a Tele version I will probably snag. Sorry to ramble but just wanted to share my disappointment. :(
# 1
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/06/2006 10:19 pm
Bummer. I've only played one or two strats, they really aren't my style but some folks can make'em sing. SRV! Anyway, I'm not suprised to hear about your dissappointment. I think Fender needs to up the anty on their quality control.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 2
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
02/06/2006 10:30 pm
I find that my strat's my favorite guitar. But you do have to shop around to find a great one. But when you find THE one, it's awesome. BTW All mexican Fenders are Crap, and all guitars ever, are overpriced!
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 3
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
02/06/2006 10:59 pm
Originally Posted by: Blues_ManI find that my strat's my favorite guitar. But you do have to shop around to find a great one. But when you find THE one, it's awesome. BTW All mexican Fenders are Crap, and all guitars ever, are overpriced!

Isnt that the truth!!! :)

What model strat do you have, a friend of mine has an American with Vintage noiseless pickups and a natural Ash body, it is awesome, I really liked the flat maple fretboard and round neck. Not a fan of v type neck! I really do love my 81 Peavey Predator, its a strat copy but made in USA and really plays nice. I put a GFS soap bar in the bridge position, interesting sound. Just got it put together on Saturday.
# 4
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
02/06/2006 11:21 pm
Originally Posted by: hbkolbIsnt that the truth!!! :)

What model strat do you have, a friend of mine has an American with Vintage noiseless pickups and a natural Ash body, it is awesome, I really liked the flat maple fretboard and round neck. Not a fan of v type neck! I really do love my 81 Peavey Predator, its a strat copy but made in USA and really plays nice. I put a GFS soap bar in the bridge position, interesting sound. Just got it put together on Saturday.

I have an American with a C neck, as I am also not a fan of the v shape. I have a glowing, slightly yellowed maple and fretboard on it. Sweet! I have some special vintage pickups in it. But I think they should make a modernized strat. With 24 frets, locking tuners, lsr roller nut, improved 5 spring trem, and also have it a h-s-s setup with the S-1 Switching system, NOW That would be awesome!

# 5
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
02/06/2006 11:52 pm
Very cool, I'm all about that S-1 switching, looks cool. I found a site on Ebay this weekend that sells some really cool mods for strats, one is like a tone knob that acts as a slight overdrive boost, then there is one where instead of a five way switch you have 3 rocker switches that turns on - off and changes phase. That one sounds interesting but alot more work that and S1 assembly.
# 6
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
02/07/2006 1:28 am
I've been told a Mex-built Strat will sound pretty decent if you upgrade the p'ups. That's why I got one in HSS configuration for my first guitar last month. So far so good.... I'm actually a serious bassist and am only now branching out into guitar (it's almost inevitable that we attempt to at some point) and have some pretty fancy gear for that, so I know pure crap when I try/feel it.
# 7
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
02/07/2006 1:42 am
You cant get the Mexi's to sound pretty good, but it still plays badly! I might sound good, but the look, and feel of the guitar is really weird. I think Most but Not ALL, mexi's feel alot more like squier's than fenders.

# 8
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
02/07/2006 1:47 am
Ehhhh... had to keep it under $500, unfortunately. :( Otherwise I'd have gone with Yank built, for sure. I figured it'd be okay for a starter model.

Now, I've always wondered... why would a Tele have more "oomph"? It has a single coil at the bridge and a dinky little metal thingy at the neck. Does... not... compute... :confused:
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.