Just another amp question

bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/05/2006 2:30 am
What does it mean if you have a Mono/Stereo cab? Can you plug in both outs from your amp to it? I have a B-52 AT100 head and an AT-412 cab. I'm just wondering how you run it in stereo. All help greatly appreciated as usual. :confused:
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/05/2006 7:16 pm
Originally Posted by: bigbudaWhat does it mean if you have a Mono/Stereo cab? Can you plug in both outs from your amp to it? I have a B-52 AT100 head and an AT-412 cab. I'm just wondering how you run it in stereo. All help greatly appreciated as usual. :confused:

heads with effects usually have sterio outs. and if you rig it up to the cab with left and right outs, one half the cab will do something a bit different from the other (for instance, delay- one echo will be on one side, the next on the other) so do the left and right outs into your cab, and it should do it automatically.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/06/2006 3:44 pm
There is no need to plug both outputs of your amp to the stereo inputs of the cab. You will not gain anything at all. The two outputs from your head are made to run two separate cabs, not for stereo applications. Even when stereo cabinets are used with stereo amplifiers and effects, the stereo effect is very minimal because the speakers are so close to each other.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/06/2006 3:54 pm
Live maybe, but if you're recording couldn't you in theory Have two different tones but play the same thing with both. One tone out of one cab and a different tone out of the other and then pan 'em really cool and what not? Sorry, I just thought that Cacophony did something like that on Speed Metal Symphony.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/06/2006 4:09 pm
Using two different cabinets that are placed a bit apart would be the best way to get the stereo effect. But, using a typical amp, you will have the same tone coming from both outputs. So, again, no difference in tone (unless different speakers are used in the cabinets). Even then, your effects wouldn't be true stereo, because the amps outputs aren't stereo, each are mono sending the same signal. The best thing you can do is use a wet-dry rig. To do this, you would run your amp like you normally would (amps output into 1 cabinet). Then run the amps line out, or effects send, to a stereo effects processor and run it into a stereo power amplifier out to two more cabinets (wet) which are placed on the left and right side of the "dry" cabinet. This can be a supper sweet sounding setup, but can get quite expensive and complicated quick. Eddie VH uses a setup like this live.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/06/2006 5:30 pm
thanks for the replies guys. I'll just keep it like i got it.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.