Standard Trem help please

hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
02/04/2006 2:37 am
Ok, so I have one of my project Peavey Predators together. Its basically an old us made strat copy. Didnt reallize what a pain in the rear the trem would be. I dont use it, but it definetly goes out of tune with my aggressive bends.
I have only 2 springs on the trem now, (basically same as a standard strat trem). New Gotah tuners, but still...... should I block the trem since I will never use it. I really dont want to spend 50.00 on a "Tremlok". Or should I put 5 springs in there and crank it down tight? Blocking would make more sense to me, any opinions would be appreciated. For the record I am putting together two of these, this one is the beater, the next one will be the purty one.

Thanks,
Howard
# 1
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/04/2006 6:14 am
I think a tremblock would work but I think you would be happier with the extra springs or maybe a tremsetter by hipshot. They are 35 bucks. You may not use it now but you might want to eventually.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 2
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
02/04/2006 3:23 pm
Thanks for the info Bigbuda, if you had a choice between a "tremsetter" and a "tremlok" www.tremlock.com what would you pick? I may have to do the block now. My wife is 34 weeks pregnant and on bedrest till she delivers so kinda watching the money.
# 3
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/04/2006 6:01 pm
Originally Posted by: hbkolbThanks for the info Bigbuda, if you had a choice between a "tremsetter" and a "tremlok" www.tremlock.com what would you pick? I may have to do the block now. My wife is 34 weeks pregnant and on bedrest till she delivers so kinda watching the money.

Well congrats on the baby on the way. I went with a tremsetter myself. The tremlock looks cool too and may serve your purpose better. If you plan on using the trem at all go with the tremsetter. If you really don't like the trem and don't want to use it go with the tremlock. The tremlock will still let you unlock it so you can use the trem but you will have to take the cover off the back and turn it when you want to unlock it.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 4
axemaster911
axemaster911
02/04/2006 9:12 pm
Originally Posted by: hbkolbOk, so I have one of my project Peavey Predators together. Its basically an old us made strat copy. Didnt reallize what a pain in the rear the trem would be. I dont use it, but it definetly goes out of tune with my aggressive bends.
I have only 2 springs on the trem now, (basically same as a standard strat trem). New Gotah tuners, but still...... should I block the trem since I will never use it. I really dont want to spend 50.00 on a "Tremlok". Or should I put 5 springs in there and crank it down tight? Blocking would make more sense to me, any opinions would be appreciated. For the record I am putting together two of these, this one is the beater, the next one will be the purty one.

Thanks,
Howard

I am assuming you have a basic understanding of trem setup. Go with 3 springs. Pre strech your new strings at least one step above your normal tuning. When you feel the strings are warmed up enough back them off to your usual tuning, and then adjust the tention on the springs to level your trem off to match your tune. It takes a little messing with, but if you get it rite you should be about as good as it gets. Your style of play, extreem bending and all will always be a factor, unless you go fixed.
# 5
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
02/05/2006 1:29 am
Axemaster, thanks for your reply, I just went to Sam Ash and bought some new trem springs. I really dont even care to use the trem, do you think if I put all five springs on I would be in buisness as far as it being pretty solid?
# 6
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
02/05/2006 5:10 am
Ok, as a follow up, I just put 5 springs on and cranked the claw down and its great, stays in turn just fine, bridge is level and intonation is good. Im a happy camper. :D
# 7
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/05/2006 6:09 am
Originally Posted by: hbkolbOk, as a follow up, I just put 5 springs on and cranked the claw down and its great, stays in turn just fine, bridge is level and intonation is good. Im a happy camper. :D

Good to hear you got it lined out. :cool:
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.