Mesa boogie is shady

Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
01/20/2006 7:30 pm
Well i have a stiletto and think its a fine amp, but not "series 2" is out or coming out. Ive had the mesa for about 4 months. Its not that it sounds bad, it sounds fine, its just that when an amp company keep "upgrading" an amp (like yearly) you feel as though u got a rushed product. It also makes you not wanna ever buy anything new from the company and buy used stuff thats been through its steps. They also changed the road king, and other products and well, lets just hope its a another blackface to silverface in the making!

my 2 cents.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/20/2006 8:09 pm
I got around that by getting a Triaxis, all the big Mesa tones in a tube (x6) driven preamp with the circuitry from each of the amps. Pricey though... and you need to play it through a Mesa poweramp (8 large tubes) to get the full effect. Still though, a worthwhile investment if you want to stick with Mesa and never worry about buying another amp.
# 2
SteveAKCK
SteveAKCK
01/22/2006 7:56 am
Well you know what's great about Mesa's? If you get an old Mark version or have an old Mark, you can sell it on ebay for about $3,000 (ok so I'm exagerating a little) cause some kid thinks he's going to sound and play like Metallica with it. If you buy an LTD KH-202 you could probably get $5000. I love watching Guitar Center who is trying to sell their MarkIIC+ for $1,390 and not getting any bids. Those guys over price everything. But back to what you were saying, I can see your point. In a way, constantly upgrading amps is like a selling point. It's what all the computer companies do, especially the video card and chip makers. Although they want to make the best product possible, sometimes it seems a bit much.
# 3
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
01/22/2006 9:50 am
I understand the goal of making a better product etc. for instance fixing a problem or improving weak points, but when you revoice and improve all channels, thats a major difference. I essentially feel as though i paid to be a test and feeback resource for thier company, and that they sold a "rush" job. Goes to show, no one can beat the classics...time tested acceptance and approval.
# 4
SteveAKCK
SteveAKCK
01/22/2006 10:21 am
Originally Posted by: PoleraI understand the goal of making a better product etc. for instance fixing a problem or improving weak points, but when you revoice and improve all channels, thats a major difference. I essentially feel as though i paid to be a test and feeback resource for thier company, and that they sold a "rush" job. Goes to show, no one can beat the classics...time tested acceptance and approval.

Remarketing an old product is such an old and dirty tactic, it's become acceptable unfortunately to use it although to varying degrees. Take for instance the Mesa Mark III blue stripe. They replace the power section on the first channel with a power section just like the one out of Mark IIC+ And that feeling you have about being a test subject.... you are. I worked for a corporate hotel chain. I can tell you from experience that almost every company will follow customer trends just to make a buck. It's common sense, but it doesn't leave much to integrity depending on how you look at it. I mean yes Mesa amps are almost always good quality, but they themselves constantly try to reproduce the amps of the past. So does Marshall. Both of those companies put out reissues of their old amps. Peavey doesn't really try to recreate amps, but they do follow trends. Fender, well I'm not sure what they do. (The amp companies of course make new amps also though) That's why most musicians are different from the companies that create the products they use. While people run businesses mainly to make money, musicians usually don't write songs to make money. Song writers do, but don't get me started on those people. Well now I'm getting into a rant that could go a full three or four pages on people being greedy and then I'd be on my soapbox. I think I'll just say, it's sad that you are a test subject for companies as are the rest of us, but that's how they make their money. I agree with you though. It's not very nice, but necessary.
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/22/2006 12:21 pm
IMHO, I think it is important to be able to cut through the crap. Does the upgrade offer you anything you want ?

If not, don't but it. Having it for the sake of having it alone is not a good reason for doing anything !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
01/22/2006 3:25 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonIMHO, I think it is important to be able to cut through the crap. Does the upgrade offer you anything you want ?

If not, don't but it. Having it for the sake of having it alone is not a good reason for doing anything !

Wise words! You are right again DR. but advertising words can be very appealing espeically the word "improving".
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
01/23/2006 1:39 pm
Who's to say that once the version 2 is out, that you'll like it better? Bogner has made a few versions of the Uberschall, and some people prefer the original over the newer version, and vise versa. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
01/23/2006 1:44 pm
slighty off topic but i found additional clips of the stiletto ver 1. i assume since 2 isnt out yet to the best of my knowledge... http://www.theblueroomstudio.com/ click on the apple in the lower right corner. Thanks for the optimism PRS! Lets hope so... :cool:
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.