can u suggest tubes that sizzle?

Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
01/19/2006 1:23 pm
Im looking for el 34 tubes that SIZZLE just like an old plexi. Also im looking for it to add more bottom end. Any one have any experience with jj e34ls? Ive been told they lend more bottom end but also add a darker tone...and what about the sizzle? cuz i got fever and the only thing that can cure it is sizzle... Ive heard that GT have a american version of el34 ...or maybe renamed in american...that can do all the above..has anyone comparred these to jjs?

thanks.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
01/19/2006 8:19 pm
I've used the JJ E34L's before, and they are nice in an amp that has a bright characteristic. They have a nice 6L6'ish bottom end, but still retain that signature EL34 midrange. They are also a bit hotter than regular EL34's, and pull more plate voltage, so you might want to make sure that your screen grid resistors can handle them. I've also used a set of Ruby EL34BSTR's in the same amp, and they are really nice if you want a mean growl with nice low end and high end, and plenty of mid range punch. They have a bit less headroom than regular EL34's also, so it's not very hard to get some nice power tube clipping. Unfortunately, those are the only 2 EL34's I have experience with. I would check with Doug at >DougsTubes<. I like dealing with him as opposed to Bob at eurotubes.com simpley because he has a wide variety of tubes to choose from. He will also help point you in the right directioin. If the power tubes don't give you that sizzle you're looking for, you might want to try a new input stage preamp tube (V1). This tube probably has more effect on your tone than the rest.

Let us know what you end up going with. I love tube talk :D
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
01/19/2006 9:03 pm
I m thinking of adding a 12at7 in V4 to lower the compression from the fx loop...think that will work?
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
01/19/2006 9:25 pm
That might work. Lats or Doug from the link I gave you could help you out more. One thing to remember is that part of the Marshall tone is it's compressed tone. Not sure if you're still going for the Marshall signature tone or not, but it's something to keep in mind.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.