Opposite of compression?

Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
01/18/2006 9:15 am
I know there are compression pedals out there, but any way to get that "grainey" marshall sound so famous from the plexi or even pre jcm 800 marshalls? essentially the opposite of compression i guess.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
01/20/2006 3:42 am
I might be mistaken on this, but I think the opposite of a compression pedal would be a noise gate which wouldn't get much for grain. Someone else can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
01/20/2006 6:06 am
If I'm not mistaken, part of the Marshall signature tone is compression. Usually when people look for a compressed tone they look at the older Marshalls. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is my understanding.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/20/2006 11:08 am
The opposite if compression is not a gate, it is an exciter (like a Sonic maximizer) or a boost pedal. In short something that will increases the dynamics if the thing you are outputting.

I think you are looking at a compressed overdriven sound as opposed to a distorted sound. The easiest way to get this is with an overdrive type stomp box, check out the boss US website they have a lot of info about the different types of useable distortion there.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
SPL
SPL
01/24/2006 1:17 am
There is no such thing as an opposite of compression as far as I know. Even if there is, I can't think of a single usable application for it.

When you're talking about tube amps, you're pretty much talking "natural" compression. So, not sure what you're getting at here.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/24/2006 2:59 am
The opposite of compressions is...

wait for it...

expansion!

This is a device that increases the dynamic range. Most noise-reduction systems use compression/expansion in their encode/decode functions.

I don't know of any stomp-box expanders.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
01/24/2006 3:09 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsThe opposite of compressions is...

wait for it...

expansion!

This is a device that increases the dynamic range. Most noise-reduction systems use compression/expansion in their encode/decode functions.

Servin up a bit of commen sence...i like it!

would a sonic maximizer be one? http://www.bbesound.com/products/maxim/maxim.asp its now offered in a pedal and it essenitally restores the signal.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/24/2006 3:28 am
Based on listening to some of their samples, I don't think it does much to the overall dynamics. Sounds more like an active EQ to me, although it may be selectively expanding the dynamic range of part of the spectrum, particularly the treble.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/24/2006 11:11 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsThe opposite of compressions is...

wait for it...

expansion!

Maybe you could "expand" on this a bit as the last time I used an expander (i.e. a downwards expander in a noise gate) it did not increase dynamic range, but shut signal out as the signal level dropped off !! It was incorporated into one of these (I know it is a Behringer, don't laugh).

This has nothing to do with expanding the dynamics of your signal !

This is very different to "sonic exciters" which you can get as rack mounted units (like this ) or stomp boxes (like this ). These units will synthesize specific frequencies that are absent "on input" and are also very different from the filter sets (i.e. active or passive EQ) that cancel (or boost) frequencies that are all ready there. This has the result of "expanding" your dynamic range and can very quickly lead to ear fatigue !

(personally I think they are a pile of poo !!)
# 9
SPL
SPL
01/24/2006 2:00 pm
http://www.felttip.com/support/Sound_Studio_Help/reference/filter_expander.html

I forgot about that one.

But again, this is NOT what you're looking for if you're talking about a tube amp.
# 10
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/24/2006 2:42 pm
I understand why they say it is the "reverse of a compressor" as it effects signal below a threshold as opposed to above it. However as it doesn't "increase" the signals dynamics, but instead "gate" it into oblivion. Consequently, given the usual application of a compressor, it think it is a VERY misleading description.

With an expander, you are effectively expanding "nothing" in place of "something" as opposed to expanding "something" into even more "something". This dose not increase the dynamic range of the signal.

A compressor on the other hand reduces the difference between to the max point and the minimum which is reducing the dynamic range of the signal.

I guess this is why scale degrees start at 1 and not 0 !
# 11
SPL
SPL
01/25/2006 12:15 am
I get what you are saying. The difference between a gate and an expander is that a gate cuts out the signal entirely below the treshold, while an expander just lowers the volume. In that sense the expander does increase dynamic range, even if the purpose is to create a gate-like effect.
# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/25/2006 2:14 am
Maybe I didn't explain that very well.

An expander is used as part of a gate to wipe out noise (and anything else) below a predetermined threshold. Generally this is an all or nothing response.

The comparison of an expander with a compressor is based on the fact that a compressor acts on signal above (as opposed to below) a predetermined threshold.

And that, as far as I can see is where the similarity ends.
# 13
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
01/25/2006 2:59 am
i love conceptual questions like this, what is a compression hmmmm...

the answer should be the same to the question: what is the opposite of percussion?

silence?
# 14
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/25/2006 3:40 am
A noise gate is [u]not[/u] a true expander. It functions more like a triggered On/Off switch. An expander is based on a VCA (Voltage Controlled Amplifier) that uses the level of the input signal to vary the gain.

A compressed signal has reduced variation in amplitude, or envelope. Expansion increases the variation in level. It does not depend on a threshold setting like a noise gate. The input level is adjusted to strike a balance between clipping and signal-to-noise-ratio. The expander ratio is adjusted to determine how wide a dynamic range is imposed on the input signal.

Noise-reduction systems (like Dolby) are based on compression/expansion, often using harware called a compander that can perform either function. When recording with such a system, the signal is compressed using a pre-determined ratio. This allows the recording levels to be set above the noise floor, while staying below the clipping level. This permits optimum SNR. On playback, the same ratio is applied to expansion, restoring the original dynamics, while attenuting the noise. Because the recorded signal contained 'wanted' material at levels significantly higher than the inherent system noise, the playback noise level is interpreted by the expander as low-level source material which is output as very low-level signal compared to the wanted material.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/25/2006 1:03 pm
I think I understood some of that !!

It also seems to contradict: 1) the link form SPL and 2) the crib sheets included with Behringer noise gates (maybe a downwards expander is different ?)

However I don't doubt for a minuet that you are right (never trust non-peer reviewed random net posts) and I am quite happy to live and learn as I am whey out of my depth !
# 16
r00ster
r00ster
01/26/2006 8:40 pm
wouldnt the opposite be DE-compression, im prolly wrong but oh well ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 17
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
01/27/2006 4:01 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonThe opposite if compression is not a gate, it is an exciter (like a Sonic maximizer) or a boost pedal. In short something that will increases the dynamics if the thing you are outputting.

I think you are looking at a compressed overdriven sound as opposed to a distorted sound. The easiest way to get this is with an overdrive type stomp box, check out the boss US website they have a lot of info about the different types of useable distortion there.

I stand corrected.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.