View post (Bass players in the world)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/16/2001 6:24 pm
The first instrument I played (excluding the recorder lessons in second and third grade) was the Alto Sax. I was never very good at it, but towards then end of my sax playing days, I always was playing the Baritone sax parts (on my alto). That is why I moved onto bass (I think) instead of guitar. At any rate, I've always been interested in music with active basslines, Stone Temple Pilots, eventually getting me into Primus, Fishbone, Incubus, even the Eagles. So that's why I'm the bassist I am today. Lets face it, eigth notes are boring as it gets, so I've never really been willing to play them- unless the song just doesn't work otherwise.

And their's always been bassists who could rip it up, Jaco, Geezer Butler, John Entwistle (The Who), but bassists are starting to get more credit.

Quite honestly though, I've been pretty disapointed with most new bassists today- I'm not hearing anything but a lot of not quite root note basslines treated to some snazzy digital effects. Hell, the last festivel I went to I spent a great deal of time hollering "DITCH THE PICK" at the various bassists. So the traditional "follow the guitar" bass lines are still what most people are doing most of the time. Unless you listen to funk or something.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons