Bass players in the world

Willdridge
Willdridge
06/11/2001 5:33 pm
Has anyone noticed that recently, or within the last say 10 years of guitar driven music, bass players are breaking out into their own? Instead of just playing a straight 16th root bassline their making much more magestic and involved lines? Don't get me wrong, there have been bass players who've carried whole songs (Paul McCartney comes instantly to mind) but throughout rock bass players were very much just an oaf in the corner. Are we seeing a newage of smart bass players out witting us guitarists? Could be interesting!
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 1
Joseph
Joseph
06/11/2001 6:19 pm
Yes Ive noticed that, and since Ive been playing bass more accurately over the past few years, you tend to stop and appreciate the specialtys that these players have to offer to the scene. Yes, I must say there are a lot of creative bassists out today, and I wish most guitarists would put in the same amount of energy, (perhaps even more) to get their overall message across. Of course in the past, A lot of bassists were just known for holding everything together, but it seems as if they now branching out on their own, (due to the formulaic guitarists of today.)

Obviously bass players all around the world feel its their time to shine, due to the lack patience that is involved with many guitarists today. Don't be surprised if you go to a show, and you find yourself more fascinated by the quickness and precision of the bassist instead of the guitarist on hand.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 2
Willdridge
Willdridge
06/11/2001 7:52 pm
I actually, even as a guitarist, am very intrigued by the bass guitar. There's something about that "bottom end" that appeals to me - the problem always was that in most of the things I heard the bass player simple followed what the guitarist was doing. Well, they were both playing the same thing, perhaps the guitarist was following the bass player, y'never know!
I think that a lot of bass players now are taking a lot more pride in their instrument and are building up the confidence to actually out show us egotistical guitarists. I appreciate anyone who's good at what they do. Sure I listen to the catchy riff in a song but more often I find myself wanting the drummer or bass player to do something interesting. Maybe guitar players of recent have largely fallen in a collective rutt and it'll be a while before anyone really takes it to a new level.
Why do you think, though, that bassists are beginning to come out the shadows? Confidence? Are they getting smarter and fed up with "Hear about the bassplayer who..."? People:- Your opinions, please!!!
# 3
Willdridge
Willdridge
06/16/2001 8:20 am
Come on people! Where's the response?!!!
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/16/2001 6:24 pm
The first instrument I played (excluding the recorder lessons in second and third grade) was the Alto Sax. I was never very good at it, but towards then end of my sax playing days, I always was playing the Baritone sax parts (on my alto). That is why I moved onto bass (I think) instead of guitar. At any rate, I've always been interested in music with active basslines, Stone Temple Pilots, eventually getting me into Primus, Fishbone, Incubus, even the Eagles. So that's why I'm the bassist I am today. Lets face it, eigth notes are boring as it gets, so I've never really been willing to play them- unless the song just doesn't work otherwise.

And their's always been bassists who could rip it up, Jaco, Geezer Butler, John Entwistle (The Who), but bassists are starting to get more credit.

Quite honestly though, I've been pretty disapointed with most new bassists today- I'm not hearing anything but a lot of not quite root note basslines treated to some snazzy digital effects. Hell, the last festivel I went to I spent a great deal of time hollering "DITCH THE PICK" at the various bassists. So the traditional "follow the guitar" bass lines are still what most people are doing most of the time. Unless you listen to funk or something.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/24/2001 7:40 pm
The first time a bass player really got my attention was when I heard Led Zepplin's "Lemon Song". John Paul Jones was to bass, what Jimmy Page was to guitar.

Geddy Lee is another bass groudbreaker. (I wish he would just shut his mouth, and stick to playing!)

Any trio is likely to have exceptional bass. With only three players, every note and beat counts, and there's nowhere to hide.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
metalisbest
metalisbest
08/08/2002 2:28 am
Yea, I know what your talking about. I think Flea and Les Claypool really started that kind of stuff, but I think Noel Redding stood out as a bass player back during the late 60s and 70s.
# 7
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/08/2002 3:57 am
There are good bass players that use the pick though, PHIL LESH of the GRATEFUL DEAD being one, and rask im sure you've heard him play, he's amazing.
# 8
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/08/2002 1:38 pm
My son started playing bass about 2 months ago, and he has really called my attention to the sorry excuse for bass playing that is in most of the music he likes, Korn, Mushroomhead, Slipknot, etc, I really don't think most of that even qualifies as bass playing, like most areas of music, the real players get little or none of the hype, but to each his own.......
# 9
bornoffire
bornoffire
08/08/2002 2:54 pm
has anyone heard of rancid?i know there punk but there song structures and overall tunes are great(there first two cd's had all good songs)anyway.........the bass player matt freeman is unbelievable....theres a song he does a crazy bass solo in....i forget......but another great showcase of his skill is the song "detroit"....a must download

p.s flea is overated

[Edited by bornoffire on 08-08-2002 at 09:56 AM]
jam it up!!!
# 10
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
08/09/2002 4:32 pm
Whats wrong with everyone. There were revolutionary bass players as early as the 60's. John Entwistle started all that playing with your fingers stuff. He was tapping on the bass in the late 60's. Its because he was a lead guitarist before playing bass, when he picked up the bass, he played it like a lead instrument. So did Jack Bruce, with his 5 stings and whatnot.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 11
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
08/11/2002 12:16 am

Yeah man, matt freeman is a very good bass player that is overlooking by the fact that rancid is not a mainstream band like some others. but yeah matt can rip a bass solo like on maxwell murder, and axiom. i remember when i would sit in my room and just teach myself all those songs. the only thing i have to say is that he plays the same thing over and over, but he's still a very good bass player.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 12
metalisbest
metalisbest
08/11/2002 3:49 pm
There are many bass players that are overlooked like P-nut from 311. Slipknot has an awesome player. Not so much in their new songs but in their old songs like confess he rules.
# 13
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
08/11/2002 4:03 pm

Anybody ever heard of a guy named Victor Lamar Wooten?
Download "classical thump", you would have never imagined a bass could sound or even be played like this.

Wooten is to bass, as Houdini was to magic.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.