the hell is wrong with my strings?

pure
pure
01/01/2006 8:09 pm
i got some new d'addario extra light strings this weekend and put em on and they played fine, until today. i started bending the strings and noticing every time i bend a string it goes out of tune. what the hell? i dont know what to do and im thinking my problem is that i put the strings on the wrong way or something. or maybe i tied the strings around the pole too many times areound. i dont know but i dont feel like re-stringing them but if thats the problem then ill do it. here's a pic of the tuning knobs ... also can someone send me a link on the proper way to string a guitar so i can see if i did it right?

aah i feel like smashing my guitar! anyway from that you can see how many times the string wrapped around the pole (hopefully my gay camera isnt blurred out).. is that the problem?
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/01/2006 8:51 pm
If you're a High Bandwidth Subscriber, there's a video series here that goes through the whole thing.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9386&s_id=163
# 2
pure
pure
01/01/2006 9:43 pm
ah my parents hate anything about internet and credit cards so they wont buy a subscription. but do you know what i did wrong?
# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/01/2006 9:50 pm
There's a thing called slippage. Also if they are brand new did you remember to stretch em out a little? When you wind your strings you gotta make sure it's wound perfectly without the string over lapping itself. Wind top to bottom and be sure not to leave too much slack or there is no way you can wind them without them overlapping. Make sure to have enough or you won't get a good anchor and you'll break a string within a week. From your pic it looks like they are a little messy but eventually you'll be able to string em up no prob, especially once you find the strings that you will always use.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
pure
pure
01/02/2006 12:53 am
yes im still searching for my gauge. anyway i managed to re-string them with a little help from schmange. yes i tried flexing them and they still would go 6 steps down from the note it was. i had to cut them a little. i havent been playing it so i dont know if there still is a problem.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.