which scales?

jammined
jammined
12/09/2005 5:21 am
Thanks for all the help on the Scales thing. if im just starting on scales...i only know the 5 shapes of the pentatonic scale and working on them,which scales do you reccomend next the major scales or the 3 note per string scales dorian.ionian..etc.... thanks ed
# 1
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
12/09/2005 2:42 pm
Honestly i would reccomend you learning harmony; the chords that go along with those scales. Just simply diving into scales without any knowledge of harmony is, IMO, fairly useless. Also learning harmony helps a lot in terms of frustration. Most newbies to guitar start asking question slike "What scale should i use over this progression..." and stuff like that and they get all frustrated. Also if you want to write your own songs, harmony learning is invaluable.

In short go ahead and learn the major scale but also learn teh chords that go with that scale and how they are used.
# 2
jammined
jammined
12/09/2005 9:22 pm
im sorry i didnt mention ive been playing for over 20 years never formely learning scales. so i do know alot of chords and fake solos.
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/09/2005 9:33 pm
Originally Posted by: jamminedThanks for all the help on the Scales thing. if im just starting on scales...i only know the 5 shapes of the pentatonic scale and working on them,which scales do you reccomend next the major scales or the 3 note per string scales dorian.ionian..etc.... thanks ed

All the 3nps scales will serve you well, just learn them all, starting with the major.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.