Urgent - Guitar rig setup question.

Superhuman
Superhuman
12/01/2005 12:38 pm
OK, so I have finally finished my home studio and am looking for a little advice on configuring my guitar rig. Time is pressing as I have to record all the raw parts at home for an important pro-studio session in two weeks.

I've been trying to get the best setup for the rack gear for direct recording. I want to record guitar parts dry (without effects), then run the fx line out from Cubase into the effects processor and back into the pc during the mastering process.

What would be the best setup from guitar to pc through the various rack units? Here's my final setup (after a lot of trading back and forward on E-Bay):

Guitar to...
Mesa Boogie Triaxis V2 (preamp)
Mesa Boogie Simul-Class 2:90 (poweramp)
ISP Decimator (noise reduction)
Palmer PDI-03 (amp sim/load box)
M-Audio Delta 1010 (soundcard recording inferface)
to PC

Eventide 3000 D/SE (effects processor)

What would you recommend for the best chain? The Triaxis is a noisy piece of gear (with regard to hums/buzz) so should the Decimator (fully takes care of the probklem without any degradation of tone) come before the poweramp or at the very end just before the pc?

Also, last question... the studio monitors, should they be connected to the Delta 1010 or come from the Poweramp (I would assume from the Delta 1010)???

Please advise, I'm desperate to get recording again!!!
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/01/2005 2:01 pm
I'd love to get my hands on one of those Palmers! How do you like it so far?

Here's how I would do it. I would plug the triaxis into the Decimator, and from it, into the power amp (all plugged up mono). I would also probably turn the power amps volume up fairly hight (in hopes of getting more power tube tone). Then you will plug the power amp into the Palmer (make sure it's set to give the amp a load!!). From the Palmer plug into the soundcard. Plug your monitors into the soundcard, and you're all set.

If I were you, I would try this setup with and without the power amp. The amp is not necessary at all, unless it just adds that little extra something to your tone. Just thinking about that power amp plugged up to 2 4x12 cabs gets me excited and makes my ears hurt! That is a rediculous amount of tube power! :eek:

As far as the Eventide goes, I have no idea. I alway's use the effects included with my recording program.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/01/2005 5:34 pm
The Palmer is a realy cool piece of hardware, makes a big difference to overall tone. Actually, I picked up a brand new model from a German website for around ā‚¬350. They are so much cheaper in Germany (that's where they are made), here's a link:
http://www.musik-produktiv.de/shop2/shop04.asp?artnr=100023868&sid=!18121995&quelle=volltext

I emailed them saying that I couldnt speak German and a guy came back to me with a link for orders in English, very helpful.

Anyway, I would definitely go through the Boogie poweramp, that has some absolutely monster power, 2 x 90 watt all-tube channels! I can crank that baby up to ridiculous levels then run it through the Palmer. The sound is absolutely crazy! Without the Palmer I would never get this tone as it would be impossible to crank the Mesa gear up, its simply too loud. Check out the above link if you're thinking of getting one, excellent product.

Anyway, that setup is what I was thinking of alright - thanks for the reply!
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/01/2005 5:42 pm
Do you have a cabinet to run that setup through for live use, or is it strictly for going straight to your soundcard?

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/01/2005 7:58 pm
I don't play live at all anymore, just recording for my own cd. I've been in plenty of bands but I get more out of composing at home and in studios.
# 5
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/01/2005 8:13 pm
Well, if you're not going to be plugging your rack system up to a guitar cabinet, why in the world did you get a power amp? :confused:

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 6
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/01/2005 8:50 pm
Well I do hook it up in recording studios but not at home. Also, the Triaxis tone alters significantly after fed through the poweramp, then through the Palmer, which allows for full use of the tubes in both units. The record out on the Triaxis alone is not great, it doesnt have the same balls as when its driven through the poweramp. Anyway, i only ever get a chance to crank it up to ear rupturing levels in studio but I can still get good use out of it for recording at home.
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/01/2005 9:15 pm
What do you plug it into in the studio? Just curious, because I'm a gear junkie.

I'd love to pair my Rockmaster preamp up with a Mesa 2:20 power amp, the single rack space EL84 powered one, and 2 1x12 cabs with different speakers in each. That would be a cool recording, and live setup. Oh the GAS pains are starting :(

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.