theory websites?

Jose Daniel
Jose Daniel
11/15/2005 3:19 pm
hi der!

i'm new here..and i was just wandering what websites can i visit when i want to learn more musical theory's.. :) plz..i really need help on this one
Many drops of water make a river, many grains of rice make a large basket, do not underestimate your own potential, and do not think of any good deed as too small to do. - Master Shih Cheng-yen

Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind. - Napoleon Hill
# 1
zoran the dark
zoran the dark
11/15/2005 4:12 pm
Originally Posted by: joelardzhi der!

i'm new here..and i was just wandering what websites can i visit when i want to learn more musical theory's.. :) plz..i really need help on this one

ofcourse this site, maybe even powertabs.net. But you need to login aswel there.
if you want to see a good guitarplayer, mark-tremonti.com is packed with video's

enjoy

P.S. If you don't like the site's use Google. ;)
# 2
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
11/15/2005 8:32 pm
Wholenote.com and this site are great.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/15/2005 9:20 pm
Originally Posted by: joelardzhi der!

What do you need to know? There are some basic music theory overviews on this site, or I could just walk you through harmony and voice leading and then on into chromatic voice exchanges and more complex stuff.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/16/2005 4:46 am
check out this site

http://www.musictheory.net/
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 5
Jose Daniel
Jose Daniel
11/17/2005 12:49 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonWhat do you need to know? There are some basic music theory overviews on this site, or I could just walk you through harmony and voice leading and then on into chromatic voice exchanges and more complex stuff.

hi lardi here..um sould you teach me those complex stuff?? if it's okay??
Many drops of water make a river, many grains of rice make a large basket, do not underestimate your own potential, and do not think of any good deed as too small to do. - Master Shih Cheng-yen

Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind. - Napoleon Hill
# 6
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/17/2005 5:41 pm
Originally Posted by: joelardzhi lardi here..um sould you teach me those complex stuff?? if it's okay??

I can teach you anything you'd want to learn in college level music theory.

To start, where are you in theory? Do you know scales and their uses? Are you familiar with basic counterpoint? Chord inversions? Do you know key signatures and how to identify them? Or are you just starting from scratch? Keep in mind that I can't teach you all the way through the complex stuff in a short amount of time, when I say complex, I mean complex.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 7
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/17/2005 5:53 pm
Anyhow, the thing about theory is you have to understand that no matter what kind of music you're writing (except, like, grindcore, but that isn't music), you are slave to theory, and that's NOT a bad thing. Everyone is confined by music theory whether or not they wish to admit it, and everyone sticks to the "rules" whether or not they know it. Knowing it, however, is a powerful thing, and the greatest minds in western music of the past half millenia were all masters of it. As Frank Zappa said, "All the great music has already been written by men with wigs."
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 8
Fretfire
Fretfire
11/17/2005 5:57 pm
Wholenote.com is gotta be the best music theory site....the problem is that it has a lot of information that a begginer can become so overwhelmed that might discourage him from learning music reading and theories.

I recommend musictheory.net or look no further....guitartricks has some great theory lessons and teachers as well.
Guitarplaying is 1 Percent Inspiration, 99 Percent Perspiration... :)
# 9
Jose Daniel
Jose Daniel
11/18/2005 2:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI can teach you anything you'd want to learn in college level music theory.

To start, where are you in theory? Do you know scales and their uses? Are you familiar with basic counterpoint? Chord inversions? Do you know key signatures and how to identify them? Or are you just starting from scratch? Keep in mind that I can't teach you all the way through the complex stuff in a short amount of time, when I say complex, I mean complex.

i know major scales and have been practicin and using them in improvisation but i feel that i still need to know a lot more than just scales and i have an ear problem..can't figure out a song immedietly and it really takes time for me to understand how the music works..hehee. :)

# 10
Jose Daniel
Jose Daniel
11/19/2005 1:31 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI can teach you anything you'd want to learn in college level music theory.

i know major and minor sacles but i'm in intervals right now and until now i don't know how to apply intervals in my soloing..hehehe :) and what are basic counterpoints? and chord inversions?

# 11
kill em all
kill em all
11/24/2005 11:55 pm
Anyhow, the thing about theory is you have to understand that no matter what kind of music you're writing (except, like, grindcore, but that isn't music)

you've made me smile, so I'll set my deadly guitar solo ( my latest work ) on stun for your frequency and your brain will not explode.
# 12
kill em all
kill em all
12/13/2005 11:39 pm
GOD that was a horrible joke, my apologies everyone!
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.