Alright now that i have money to waste

Cookie monster
Cookie monster
11/03/2005 4:14 am
Alright...i have 500$...are there any little guitar related objects that are usefull or just really fun that i could buy...anything that you would buy if you wanted to spend 500$...a good cheap guitar..good efect pedals..a slide?...special cables....guitar pick holders or something...i dunno..anything youve found usefull.
damn straight
# 1
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
11/03/2005 5:21 am
maybe some kind of recording device, if u don't have one already. i however would save and get a schecter c-1 classic for $200 more....it would help if we knew what u already have :D also checkout www.craigslist.com you might find a good deal that is local to you and you try it out first before buy, unlike ebay
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 2
Cookie monster
Cookie monster
11/03/2005 5:48 am
i have gibson sg special faded and a peavey ranger 212 and some effect pedals...im pretty happy with that.to be honest with you...so the question remains...is there anything really usefull to be bought w/ this much money
damn straight
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/03/2005 6:51 am
rock on dude! isn't it funny how the gibson sg special faded makes you content? I have one too. it's just such good quality it's like I don't even need another electric... well... ok, I do want a tele, but only cause it's a totally opposite tone of an sg.

anyways! I just got a guitar pick holder for like $2... it's a keychain thing, it says "valley music source" on it, which is my favorite shop around here. you wouldn't really think much of it, but it's amazing how much money it'll save you in guitar picks that you otherwise would have lost...

but seriously, I wouldn't just buy a bunch of random crap, I'd get something big. like a digital 8-track recorder. or an acoustic (if you don't have one already)

but seriously, you don't need to spend your money just cause you have it there ready to spend... I know it's tough, but GAS is not always a good thing, don't just buy something cause you want it that minute, wait till the next day at least and see if you still want it... chances are you won't... and if you do, then GAS away.... now.... if only I could follow my own advice...

now, going against everything I just said, I must say George L's cables are a must. I got a premade 15 ft. one from musicians friend for $30... and I compared it to every cable I could. this thing sounds ALOT better then anything else, it's not like a subtle difference where you can't even tell, it's dramatic improvement over any other cable I've used in the price range. this doesn't mean go out and buy $500 worth of cables though, 1 or 2 should get you by.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 4
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/03/2005 6:54 am
Buy a GNX4 by Digitech. It has an 8 track digital recorder on it, a drum machine, a ton of effects, get one then download some patches by a dude named guitar3456 on the digitech sound community site. This guy makes the best patches. I just bought the MFX series from him which includes patches, amp models, cab models. It's a very impressive machine. I also use mine to record to my pc via usb.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 5
VHLO
VHLO
11/03/2005 9:19 pm
I always wanted one of those electroarmonics pedals, you know those with tubes :rolleyes:
# 6
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
11/03/2005 9:34 pm
Buy somethin cheap like a Standard strat and trick it out, cool pickups, paint job, gold tuners. I've always wanted to do that but, no extra money, if there is such a thing. :rolleyes:
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 7
kill em all
kill em all
11/03/2005 10:06 pm
How about some pickups? blow 1-2 hundred on p-90's (great for sg). And a monster instrument cable ( the best in my oppinion ) kills 1-1.5 hundred. Replacement speakers are a great improvement for killing small sums. Try celestion vintage 30's or something, $110 each. If you still have the stock tubes in that peavey you can improve the sound tremendously by investing in some new tubes, what kind depends on what you play. I am going to suggest a very different kind of accessory to you as well, check out perfectpitch.com, worth every penny. A hardshell case may be in order and if you don't practice with a metranome the recording studio will know.
# 8
Cookie monster
Cookie monster
11/04/2005 1:53 am
ehh just letting you know...you guys are awsome....and i think im gunna have to list the winning ideas so far
*P90's (what brand and where can you get p90s that fit into humbucker slots)
*Pick holder...exept what do they look like....and what if you lose the pickholder..heh
*Monster cables or george l cables...i dunno
*New speakers..
*Electroharmonix pedal w/ tubes (im exited already) and how does the fulltone distortion pro compare to that?
*The standard strat thing sounds sickkkk

And basically everything else I already have (recording stuff, new tubes, acoustic guitar)

Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsrock on dude! isn't it funny how the gibson sg special faded makes you content?

yeah its rediculous...i love it

Im not buying anything until i suck you guys dry of awsome ideas....thanks btw
damn straight
# 9
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/04/2005 3:26 am
[QUOTE=Cookie monster]ehh just letting you know...you guys are awsome....and i think im gunna have to list the winning ideas so far
*Pick holder...exept what do they look like....and what if you lose the pickholder..heh
*New speakers..
*Electroharmonix pedal w/ tubes (im exited already) and how does the fulltone distortion pro compare to that?

And basically everything else I already have (recording stuff, new tubes, acoustic guitar)

P-90's will fit your current humbucker slots.
Pick holders look like this and are best made by you outta some sculpey III clay. The rest sounds cool, good luck.

I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 10
Cookie monster
Cookie monster
11/04/2005 3:48 am
^^^^haha..nice..is that yours??...i dunno if im awesome enough to make one of those yet tho
damn straight
# 11
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/04/2005 4:39 am
Originally Posted by: Cookie monster^^^^haha..nice..is that yours??...i dunno if im awesome enough to make one of those yet tho

Yeah, I got the idea from Dr. Simon. He's an instructor here at GT. There's a pic of his Pickshroom in his lesson set somewhere. I liked it so I emailed him, asked him how he did it and made one myself. My wife helped me alot too. :rolleyes:
# 12
Cookie monster
Cookie monster
11/04/2005 5:49 am
also besides the stuff i already asked you guys...do you know of any decent cheap guitars (like..agile,hamer...) prefarably something w/ p90s or single coils..
damn straight
# 13
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/04/2005 5:51 am
Originally Posted by: Cookie monster*Pick holder...exept what do they look like....and what if you lose the pickholder..heh[/quote]
mine looks like this (sorry for the horrible picture, I got my digi camera for like $80... it's like 3.1 megapixels... lol... also, because it's a keychain, you just put it with your keys so you won't lose it... of course, we lose our keys all the time :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Cookie monster]ehh just letting you know...you guys are awsome....and i think im gunna have to list the winning ideas so far
*New speakers..

Im not buying anything until i suck you guys dry of awsome ideas....thanks btw

those P90's are going to sound way different to the way your sg sounds now... so if you like the sound now, you may not like it as much after the pickup change

also, for 12 feet of monster SP1000 instrument cable you're paying $100... for 15 feet of george L's, you pay $30... I've never used a monster cable, so I don't know if it's worth that much extra...

speakers, this one I can't criticise, though do you know what kind of speakers came with your amp? they may already be celestions, in which case a speaker swap probably wouldn't be worth it unless you had blown the old speakers.

and if you already have a tube amp, then a pedal with a tube in it probably won't sound much better... it might be a different kind of gain (i.e. distortion vs. overdrive) which would make it an ok purchase, but don't expect it to be much better sounding then your amps distortion.

I just wish you weren't spending your money just for the sake of spending your money... but if you must... then why not a bass guitar? mix things up a bit... a synthesizer to add something extra to your recordings... a flying V guitar, or explorer, or other wierd shapes like that... I dunno
my spyspace
# 14
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/04/2005 5:53 am
Originally Posted by: Cookie monsteralso besides the stuff i already asked you guys...do you know of any decent cheap guitars (like..agile,hamer...) prefarably something w/ p90s or single coils..

I've heard many a good thing about agile, and was considering getting one myself.
my spyspace
# 15
Cookie monster
Cookie monster
11/04/2005 6:14 am
yeah..well i want pickup change on my sg because the bridge pickup sounds like ehhh....my amp has blue marvel speakers they sound aight i guesse...and my amp doesnt have enough distortion for what i play sometimes so i need a distortion pedall anyways...and a pedal w/ tubes just sounds badass

did i miss anything?

what im probably gunna end up doing is just getting a decent guitar w/ p90s or something
damn straight
# 16
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/04/2005 7:40 am
For the pedal stuff,check out fx pedal reviews HERE and select the brand and then model.

Check out pedal geek HERE for a good selection of boutique pedals(I always wanted to see what that Jaques Fuse Blower could do)

As for pickups,why not go all out and get really good dimarzio or some active emg's?And you can't go wrong with locking tuners(sperzel)
Try once,fail twice...
# 17
Cookie monster
Cookie monster
11/05/2005 12:44 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartAs for pickups,why not go all out and get really good dimarzio or some active emg's

the thing is..I already changed my bridge pickup to a dimarzio tone zone...and i just dont like the sound, it doesnt have enough body
damn straight
# 18
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/05/2005 6:45 am
Originally Posted by: Cookie monsterthe thing is..I already changed my bridge pickup to a dimarzio tone zone...and i just dont like the sound, it doesnt have enough body

did you try adjusting the pickup height? I didn't like the stock pickup at all until i lowered it a bit, now it sounds pretty good, still not hot enough for my tastes though... but it makes for good clean and light overdrive playing.
my spyspace
# 19
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/05/2005 7:32 am
Originally Posted by: Cookie monsterthe thing is..I already changed my bridge pickup to a dimarzio tone zone...and i just dont like the sound, it doesnt have enough body
[font=trebuchet ms]I use a Tone Zone and I love it. But I will admit that it has its limitations. It was meant for use with distortion, or at least some overdrive. What sounds like lack of body while playing clean is what keeps it from turning to mush when the going gets heavy. I pair it with a PAF Pro, and they work well together. For classic tones, I still get a lot of use from my DiMarzio Dual Sound/SCHB pair.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.