To sit or Stand???

drivingburnt
drivingburnt
11/02/2005 5:17 am
Most of my practicing has been done on a tall kinda "bar stool" that I usually sit on and I've found that when I go to stand I feel very awkward and things do not flow as smoothly. Should I hike the guitar up higher when I stand to help or am I just plain doing it wrong in the "upright position" Be gentle. I'm still a rookie :o
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Got To Love Those Shredding Grannies[/FONT]
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2005 6:17 am
I've always done all my practicing sitting down. But when you're going to play live somewhere, you have to rehearse standing up or you'll screw up big time.
Before live gigs, you have to get used to lights flashing on and off, girls looking at you and the other guys moving around on stage... a couple of beers in you and smoke bombs going off, plus you have to come up with some basic moves or all you'll hear after your set is 'well, you weren't doing very much'
Everything has to exagerated X10 or you look boring.
# 2
drivingburnt
drivingburnt
11/02/2005 2:39 pm
Thanks for the info. Maybe I should practice half standing and half sitting. :p
# 3
Rat Man
Rat Man
11/04/2005 7:49 pm
Hi, Driving Burnt;
I am one who sits when he plays. I agree with Schmange that you'll certainly look better moving, dancing, giving body English, what ever. If ou can do this without effecting your playing you'd be much better off. The other's in my band stand and play, but I sit because I play a lot better that way. I'm the best guitarist in my group and I like to really concentrate on what I'm doing. I agree, I probably look like a turd on stage, but that's just the price I have to pay for playing at my best.

Rat Man
# 4
rockonn91
rockonn91
11/04/2005 8:09 pm
as above said, when performing, its important to be used to standing.

but sitting makes playing ALOT easier and more comfortable. like theres some shred solos that i just CANT play standing up because of how my guitar is set up, how i hold it standing, etc. it just takes work.

usually, i learn and perfect a song sitting, and then when im extremely comfortable with it i learn to play it standing up. and then you gotta throw in all the fun stuff like dancing and jumping :p
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 5
Just.Trey
Just.Trey
11/05/2005 5:09 am
I had a freind of mine that played in Blues bands. The guy absolutly brought the house down every time he played. He did have a bad habit of turning his back on the audience and facing his amp for most of the show. He said it was so that he could hear himself.

He eventually was convinced by the rest of the band and some promoters to face the aduience. He did but he just bent over and rocked back and forth :rolleyes: But man what a player!

Trey
# 6
drivingburnt
drivingburnt
11/05/2005 5:55 am
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to try practicing both ways so maybe when I stand I'll feel a little bit more comfortable. Now if I can just get over the embarrassment part I'll be doing great. :p
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/05/2005 7:45 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Don't sling your axe down around knee-level. Besides looking seriously retarded, it will mess with your ability to play well. Hike it up high enough that it doesn't matter whether you're sitting or standing. You'll have better access to both ends of the neck, and your back will thank you for it.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
Derin
Derin
11/05/2005 9:41 pm
Hmmmm....I'm really only starting out...but maybe I should practice whilst looking at girls? (Don't think they'll be looking at me! :p )
# 9
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
11/07/2005 12:38 pm
I find that when sitting,it is best to place your guitar propperly (well, like the classical guitaring way) with you axe on your left knee (if you are right handed) and your left foot on a little foot stool, or your case or what have you...the neck will then be slanted upwards at a roughly 45degree angle...not only does this look more professional, but it also feels more similar to the way your guitar does when you are standing, so its much easier to adapt to standing play...if you get my drift.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 10
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
11/07/2005 12:40 pm
Originally Posted by: DerinHmmmm....I'm really only starting out...but maybe I should practice whilst looking at girls? (Don't think they'll be looking at me! :p )

dont really worry about that...you usually wont even be able to see any crowd because of lights, or if not lights...nerves.

I cant remember ever recognising or focussing on a specific person in the audience.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 11
drivingburnt
drivingburnt
11/10/2005 6:11 am
Thanks for the neat tips. Hopefully I'll be able to stand and play comfortably as I do sitting someday. :)
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.