Tips?

Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/19/2001 12:48 am
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for playing live. I'm pretty good when I play for a small group of people (about 40), but I don't think I could play well for a large amount of people. And as you can tell, I'm relatively new in the guitar world (almost a year, but I'm pretty damn good), and I haven't had the chance to play at a concert or anything. I will, soon though.

All in good time...
MYK
# 1
Joseph
Joseph
05/19/2001 4:57 am
Playing live definitely has a way of improving your playing much more dramatically than practicing in your bed room or garage. The thing is that we never really feel 100 percent comfortable around others, because its hard to satisfy a large crowd, and maintain your creativity. So once you're up on stage, you just have to try your best to stick to your game plan, and play at your best fom your heart (and it definitely helps to move around a lot, its not good to stay in one position staring intently into one persons eyes.) But although you're sticking to the game plan, you have to be able to work well with changes, because sometimes the other musicians you're working with just might try and be spontaneious. The experience of playing in front of a large crowd and the many variables of a live performance are something that must be mastered, especially for a solist who has to improvise on the spot.

So try to to have fun, and like you said, being that you're relatively new to the instrument, theres so much more to learn. The endless learning possiblities of the guitar and the overall experience is what keeps us coming back for more...

-Joseph

[Edited by Joseph on 05-29-2001 at 09:40 PM]
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 2
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
05/28/2001 1:39 pm
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joseph
(and it definitely helps to move around a lot, its not good to stay in one position staring intently into one persons eyes.)

Our first gig at a big stage was very cool, i stared in the crowd (300-400 persons) but i couldn't see anything at all.
Big lights in my eyes prevented sight on the public, only once and a while i could get a glimpse of someone i knew. I started to play and we had enough room to jump around . At the end we played as in the rehearsel room.

# 3
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
05/28/2001 4:28 pm
on my first public performance i was playing you shook me all night long, by ac/dc and i couldnt play because i was really nervous, and didnt learn the solo good enough, so the most important thing as it seems to me when you are playing before crowd you should learn your part, as if your life depend on it, because otherwise you can find yourself in position when you are nervous, and dont remember your part, while if you'll work really good on it you'll be able to play it because your finger will just lead you to the right thing, even if your brain wont...
if you playing more than 1 song you should start with the easiest and leave the hardest to the end, because in the begining people tend to be most nervous, and dont choose songs that you are not able to play very good, in the rehearses because it will sound like crap live....

anyway remember , especialy when playing original stuff, people dont know how it should sound, most of the people will think you are good, doesnt matter what will you do...
even if you'll stop in the middle by some reason pretend that it should happen, and it is part of the song
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/28/2001 7:41 pm
Their's lots of things you can do to help yourself out, many don't even involve guitars at all. But here are some ideas:

-Being on stage can be very uncomfortable, croud withstanding, their's stage lights which means that not only can you not see the croud, but you're HOT. Their's also things to trip on, and if you're especially unlucky, the whole stage sways and bounces in odd ways. I've got to the point where I'm thinking more along the lines of "Where did I set my Red Bull," or "Geeze, if I step there, I'll fall through the stage" then "oh my god... PEOPLE."

-Do anything that puts you on the spot, like public speaking classes, martial arts, etc. That sort of thing will get you used to being in front of people as well as playing out will.

-PRACTICE! You and the rest of your band should be in tune with eachother enough to cover eachother's mistakes. This is an INCREDIBLE confidence booster to not only know that you're good enough to make changes on the fly, but your band can back you up.

-Take into consideration that the only people who will know every time you screw up are other musicians, and they know where you're coming from. So regardless of what happens, make it look like you're doing it on purpose.

-If all else fails blame it on the drummer.
(j/k... You're drummer will beat you if you do that).
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/29/2001 2:30 am
These are some damn good tips. Thanks, guys!
MYK
# 6
Willdridge
Willdridge
05/29/2001 4:51 am
I think it's also important you remember the reason you play the guitar too:- To score...(Don't y'all prentend you didn't!)
But seriously, I know a lot of people first picked up the guitar to be that little more popular, I did, but the reason I still play is because I enjoy it. I like playing the instrument, in a band, solo, to people, away from people. It's very likely you'll make to occasional mistake, regardless of how much you've practise, Joe Satriani did on the G3 tape I've got, the key is to keep going and make up for it. I know it's hard not to worry, but even if you're panicking like crazy, just remember it's all for fun, it's simply 'cos you love to play, innit?
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 7
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
05/29/2001 7:43 am
The most nervous I get now is when i go to a jam session.
I prepare myself especially for it. There are playing some excellent guitarists, far better then I am, but i play and it's still going better. It's all about confidence.
When I'm playing with the band you are a team and it's comfortable even when you make mistakes. At rehearsels we make mistakes on purpose to see how we get it right on.
It's the same as speaking in public some like it and some don't, some just have to.
# 8
Joseph
Joseph
05/30/2001 1:43 am
Its all about practicing, and learning how to work with changes. The thing about being a good musician is that you have to have good reflexes, because you never know when your game plan with be altered. All you can do is try to be prepared the best way you know how...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.