band conflicts

rawrockkills
rawrockkills
10/06/2005 1:39 am
alright im having some band issues and im stuck and dont know what to do... heres the thing.
i have been playing guitar for 14 months and i dont mean to brag but i am pretty good... well thats well people tell me so i think i can feel comfortable saying it about myself. well anyways... everyone else in my band is either decent or sucks... :) my singer is pretty bad... he sings too low or two high he sounds like hes hitting a cat with a baby. i kinda want to kick him out but its very hard to cause weve been best friends for 4 years now. and my rythm guitarist is pretty bad too... all he can play is power chord stuff... and he always trys to show me up with some new 2 string lick and i tell him im better still better than him and he gets pissed, and he always talks about how this other band offered him a spot but he denied. but ive been friends with him for 2 years and its gonna be hard to kick him out too... and i have a bassist ive never even met. should i clean house... leave them and find another band, or just learn to manage?
oh and if you would be so kind as to listen to some of our stuff it would be greatly appreciated :)
mba.dmusic.com
# 1
Soul_V
Soul_V
10/06/2005 2:35 am
Originally Posted by: rawrockkillsalright im having some band issues and im stuck and dont know what to do... heres the thing.
i have been playing guitar for 14 months and i dont mean to brag but i am pretty good... well thats well people tell me so i think i can feel comfortable saying it about myself. well anyways... everyone else in my band is either decent or sucks... :) my singer is pretty bad... he sings too low or two high he sounds like hes hitting a cat with a baby. i kinda want to kick him out but its very hard to cause weve been best friends for 4 years now. and my rythm guitarist is pretty bad too... all he can play is power chord stuff... and he always trys to show me up with some new 2 string lick and i tell him im better still better than him and he gets pissed, and he always talks about how this other band offered him a spot but he denied. but ive been friends with him for 2 years and its gonna be hard to kick him out too... and i have a bassist ive never even met. should i clean house... leave them and find another band, or just learn to manage?
oh and if you would be so kind as to listen to some of our stuff it would be greatly appreciated :)
mba.dmusic.com

Whats up man!!!!
well, my opinion here is that you put appart your friendship and the musical relations or bands relations, if you join them it will cause you a lot of troubles... second, band is equal to compromise, every member must have to go to every rehersal, if they love music.
third, youre band is starting man!!! it is obvios that the members will suck, but with something you must start!! Learn all you can from them!!! Take it as experience!!!
Start performing quite simple songs, dont go directly to play Dream Theater, or Angra, start with Smoke on the Water for example, its purpose its to know well each member, their limitations and their capabilities. If u decide to form a new band have in mind that if your porpose is to perform only, all the members have the same favourite genre(metal, rock) because it is difficult when the members have different styles to decide what songs to play.... but if u want to compose, search different people with diferent styles, it works good when composing.

Hope it helps!!!!:)
# 2
rawrockkills
rawrockkills
10/06/2005 3:01 am
yeah it does help a lot but i mean we dont play any hendrix stuff or anything we play MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE type stuff... and i thought that was pretty basic enough.... but my band still cant get it right
# 3
baci
baci
10/06/2005 10:19 am
no offence but you wanna take your head from out your arse and get some patience and stop thinking your the ****.
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/06/2005 1:57 pm
Originally Posted by: bacino offence but you wanna take your head from out your arse and get some patience and stop thinking your the ****.

+1

There's no room for an ego in a band. It's alway's good to play with musicians that are better than you, but every once in a while you will be the better musician. When that time comes, help the others out. Don't be arrogant about it, and be like "ya'll aren't good enough to play with me." Nobody will ever want to keep you around, no matter how good you are, with an attitude like that. You're just starting out, so be sure you learn how to work with others that are on different skill levels than you. It will only make you a better musician.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
bardo2
bardo2
10/06/2005 5:30 pm
Ya know what trips me out is thinking of a full blown orchestra and all the premo musicians in it.Now I'm sure they have some squables now and then but the conductor in the MAN(or woman)You don't get along you get replaced.
The number one reason all the bands I was in had conflicts were creative issues.Number two were chicks(of coarse) :p
# 6
rawrockkills
rawrockkills
10/06/2005 10:31 pm
ahhh all you guys think its that im full of myself... im not really its just like my lead singer doesnt even sound like a singer.. my rythm guitarist could be worse but hes been playing for five years and im better than him after 14 months... so it feels like we are destined for crap...
# 7
baci
baci
10/06/2005 10:42 pm
Originally Posted by: rawrockkillsim better than him after 14 months...

^^^ Thats where it all goes wrong, who the hell says your better than him? Can you play ryhtmn....as well as he can? Who cares if he can only play 2 string licks, how do you think he feels when you say "Ahh im still better than you..."

Dude, i listened to you "attempt" at steve vai's piece, it sucks balls, your sloppy and your tuning is way off.

Im not saying im better than you at all, im not here to compete or claim to be the number 1 shredder of all time at all, but learn to play yourself before firing into other people, specially your so called friends.

Your meant to say "Hey buddy, if you want some tips/lessons/help just ask man, id be glad to point you in the right direction"

Instead your saying, dude, stop trying to show me up (which i might add, he probably isnt, just impressed and pleased that he can play a good, speedy lick on 2 strings....)

You gotta look "outside the box" dude, like i said, nothing personal at all...
just my 2 pennies...

:)

PS. its not your tuning, its just that your playing wrong notes....
# 8
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/07/2005 3:57 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraOh man, you are definetly full of yourself. Lose the ego. Tbh, you go on about kicking other members out, but, with an attitude like yours, i'm surprised they don't kick you out instead.

Or kick your ass one.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 9
baci
baci
10/07/2005 4:23 pm
Wow this post has created quite a stir, i agree with Akira though, and PRS totally, its shocking you still have friends!

:D
# 10
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/07/2005 4:48 pm
Alright... that's enough for this thread for a while...
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.