Strat Problem (Need Help)

PowerChordWiz
PowerChordWiz
10/05/2005 7:48 pm
I recently bought a Fender Stratocaster, and have noticed a problem that im not sure if it is normal or not. I bought a strat that included the whammy bar, so the bridge is held down by springs. The problem is, is that i notice the bridge rises whenever i tune my guitar, meaning the tighter my strings get the more of an angle my bridge gets. Also when i have to replace strings or want to try differerent tuning, the harder it is to stay in tune because the bridge is always moving. Im not sure if this is normal for guitars that have whammy bars, or if this a problem i can fix. Please i need to know.
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
10/05/2005 8:01 pm
That's a common problem. You just need to remove the back cover to access the springs. The screws that connect the springs to the guitar need to be tighter. You just screw them in until the trem sits on the body of the guitar again.

It's a minor adjustment that is easy to do.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
10/06/2005 2:53 pm
Having your Strats tremolo properly set-up is key to tuning stability. The bad thing about Strats is that they're very sensitive to change. When you change your string gauge you will notice that the trem will no longer be the same... as well as your truss rod... where as guitars without trems just need a simple truss adjustment. Welcome to the family of Strats my friend. You want your trem to sit slightly off the body... this gives it the ability to slightly sharpen notes... instead of just flattening them. If you find yourself using the trem alot I suggest taking it to a tech and having them look at it... and/or explaining it all to you in hands on. Also setting it up for your playing style. If you don't use the trem at all i would suggest putting five srpings on the trem claw and tightening the bridge down so it sits on the body... this gives max tuning stability
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.