my present

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/05/2005 4:51 am
so, as most of you have read my thread "and that's it?" you know I want to buy myself a present in order to attempt to cheer myself up... I have around $150 right now, though I plan on selling my old multi-effects (korg ax10g) and I expect to get about $100 for it, so that's $250, and payday is on thursday and I'll be getting around $160, of which $100 is spending money... so! I've got a budget of around $350 to play with. I want to know what I should get. I just got a new gibson guitar, which I love and feel no need to get a new guitar right now (especially not in the $350 price range!) and I just got a new amp, a line 6 spider II, which is ok, I love putting on the crunch channel and turning the gain up high, it's a nice sound, but I don't really like the metal channel, and the insane channel is a good lead sound but I don't like playing power chords with it. the clean is pretty good though. but anyways! so, no guitar, and no amp. I was thinking effects, should I get a pedalboard (or build one rather, they are way to overpriced for what they are!) and started filling up with single effects? or go the multi-effects route again with something like a GT-6... if I could afford all the effects that I wanted to with the $350, then I wouldn't even consider the multi-effects, but for $350 I could get maybe 3 or 4 effects at most (once I buy all the patch cables and the materials for the pedalboard) so what do you guys think? (I'm open to other suggestions other then just effects too you know!)
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
10/05/2005 5:36 am
Hmmm...decisions, decisions.
Depends on what you want. Sounds like you miss certain distortion tones, so a dedicated pedal that delivers crunch could be in order. Otherwise you just gotta decide what you're looking for effect-wise.

Some of the most useful ones being: distortion (of course), chorus, eq, delay, reverb, and noise gate.

Alot of the other effects, phaser, tremelo, auto-wah, flanger, pitch-shifter, panner, rotary, and volume envelope, while fun to play around with, see a more limited use.

But try all of them out, you'll like some more than others, and some not at all. The bigger variety you like, the more a multi looks like the way. But it's not worth it if you're just gonna mainly use 2-3 settings.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/05/2005 5:53 am
the pedals I want to own and can actually see myself using are
chorus (i use this alot! but the line 6 spider II has a built in chorus, so a chorus pedal isn't an immediate need)
distortion (yes, I play alot of hard rock and metal so this is mandatory, and yes I feel as though my amps distortion is not sufficient, and I don't like most of the distorted amp models on my korg pedal)
overdrive (for use as a booster and a stand-alone pedal, I didn't know the difference between distortion and overdrive until recently, then I actually decided to listen to some sound clips of some overdrive pedals and I love the tone! so an overdrive is a must!)
wah (can't see myself using it often, but my korg pedal has a built in wah, it sounds terrible, but it's so much fun to use when goofing off at home, so, not too high on the prioritys list)
delay (I love putting a short echo onto a solo so it sounds almost like you have 2 guitars playing the same thing at the same time, I love it. my amp has a "tape echo" which I don't like, and a "sweep echo" which I don't like either. preferably a pedal that can do both reverbs and delays or echos)
compressor (mainly for recording, and I rarely record, so it's not high on the prioritys either)

and that's pretty much it... so, to recap that's chorus, distortion, overdrive, wah, compressor, and a delay/reverb (though it's more important that it has delay then reverb)
my spyspace
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/05/2005 6:26 am
ok, I've narrowed it down to getting an OD-20 and a pedalboard maybe a delay too if there is enough money left over, an acoustic guitar, a bass guitar, or an inexpensive 8-track digital recorder (like that red $250 fostex one)
my spyspace
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/07/2005 5:07 am
ok, so I built a pedalboard and placed an order on music123.com (it was $30 cheaper then musicians friend!) for the OD20, so, should have it sometime next week. I might spring for a wah on my next paycheck.
my spyspace
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.