Amesiac...

Joseph
Joseph
05/16/2001 1:42 am
So, Radiohead's newest album will be out pretty soon, and a lot of you guys are probably expecting a guitar oriented release, (especially for those of you who were disappointed by Kid A), where you feel now would be the perfect time for them to redeem themselves. But I like what these guys have done with themselves, and with their overall identity as a band. Instead of trying to live up to expectations of others, their music gets deep down to the heart of the mire, as what it is that they wan't to present to the world.

With music, what attracts us is sometimes simple, something that can take us back to our childhood, or perhaps the best relationship that we've been involved in, but when music becomes too complicated a lot of us we tend to steer clear. But for a lot of reasons, its important to think of an album as an experience, where certain (mainstream huggable songs) sometimes just don't fit into the overall idea. Whereas music should sometimes be thought of as writing a story, where theres a beginning and a conclusion, and everything that goes in between must hold it all together somehow. With Amnesiac, I'm very much interested in what these musicians have up their sleeves, and Thom Yorke's overall frame of mind in the studio definitely has a way of grabbing my attention.

So when it all comes down to it, a lot of you guys probably assume that Radiohead is a bunch of selfish guys who could care less about what the rest of the world is interested in hearing when it comes to Radiohead, where they refuse to even lift a finger to listen to what the majority of people feel would be in their best interests. Well perhaps, :rolleyes: but they do it so well that its really hard to criticize without thinking this through.:D

So, are you interested in listening to an album as a whole, where one idea is expressed throughout the album in different pieces, or when you listen to an album do you expect it to go in several different directions? And overall, are you excited, or the least bit interested with the idea of another Radohead album, or are you guys just going to save your pennies his time? :rolleyes:

-Joseph

[Edited by Joseph on 05-15-2001 at 09:46 PM]
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
05/16/2001 10:25 am
I love the radiohead albums. The last two albums were great.
I'd like to lay down close my eyes and listen to the entire album. If there is not so much guitar in it, I don't care.
I'm looking forward to the new album and will buy it without hearing, some music only gets better in time.
Also I like other great albums with a story in it and lots of guitar solo's. Albums like 2112 (Rush), All early Pink Floyd, Eagles(Desperado). When I have the time it's nice to listen to this kind of albums. I know them exactly, i will never use randomplay with this kind of albums.

# 2
Joseph
Joseph
05/19/2001 5:04 am
Well, a lot of people would like to see these leopards change their spots, but with the music that Radiohead have been recording as of late( I feel it best represents their personallity and the overall direction that they wan't to go in as musicians.) I wouldn't wan't to do anything to stifle their creative process, and I can't say that I'm not enjoying what they've done..

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
05/19/2001 5:40 am

A lot of people say they went downhill after Roger Waters left, but I still like the 'old' Floyd as much as the 'new' Floyd.

The only album that I don't really like is "Meddle".
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/19/2001 12:32 pm
This sort of thing happens all the time. Most people think that STP went downhill after Core (their first album). Core definately rocks the hardest of all their efforts, but if you want to look at their best song writing, dynamics, textures, etc, their best album would be Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop. Their latest album #4 wasn't as good, but at the same time you can hear the tension; you can almost hear everybody thinking "oh god, lets get this done before Scott gets busted again." And compared to most of the music today #4 is very impressive. Just not up to snuff with their other three albums.

And actually, Primus gets the same thing because they didn't put out seven versions of Frizzle Fry.

It's basic human nature to want things to stay the same; to want everything to be just where you left it. Many people can't cope with change, and don't have the vision or open mind to let artists do what they need to do.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Joseph
Joseph
05/20/2001 4:04 am
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
It's basic human nature to want things to stay the same; to want everything to be just where you left it. Many people can't cope with change, and don't have the vision or open mind to let artists do what they need to do.

Exactly, people aren't always willing to change along with their favorite musicians. Although its important for a band to stick to their roots, its important for them to go along with their instincts instead of relying on how the majority might re-act... I also really loved Tiny Music, this record really increased my overall interest in this band. It showed me that they were capable of accomplishing so much more. This record reminds me of my favorite classic seventies records, it has that classic no nonsence sound. Its great...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.