Firearms

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/21/2005 4:18 pm
Originally Posted by: kingdavidIt's one of those "knee-jerk" reaction things.
How much have you heard people tell you about the ravages that HIV/AIDS is meteing out on Africa? Probably a lot. Well, I'm told that good old Malaria kills more people that HIV/AIDS. I'd never have guessed it, looking at all the activity revolving around the scourge (I'd have written "the scourge", but then people might have thought I didn't take HIV/AIDS seriously, which I do).

Similarly, for all the attention violence and violent crime is getting here in the US, violent crime rates are at a 20 year low. You've been more likely to become a victim of a violent crime in the UK than in the US since 1996.

However, media coverage of it is at an unprecidented high, so guess how people respond?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/21/2005 4:54 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovThe next consideration is that most of these game animals now have no natural predators and so their populations are suseptable to going catastrophically out of control leading to inbreeding, increased highway deaths, disease, the destruction of wild food-plants, trees and famers' crops and then finally starvation and death. Properly controled hunting is an absolutely essential componant of maintaing healthy game animal populations.

Deer overpopulation is rediculous down here. I almost hit a deer, or a deer almost runs into me at least 2-3 times a week. Deer, and other wild animals, can cause a butt load of damage to a vehicle. There are numerouse deaths each year down here, because of people hitting, or trying to avoid hitting, deer.

I hunt deer because I love the sport and challenge of it, I love deer meat, I love socializing with other hunters, and deer have cost me well over $1000 in damage to my vehicles.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
09/21/2005 6:01 pm
Originally Posted by: quickfingersexcuse me for being a conformist to safeway,

hey now!!! I work at safeway! ohh... who am I kidding? I hate it there, please, continue to make fun of it.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 3
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
09/21/2005 6:14 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaThere aren't too many places you can go to get good venisen, dove, squirl, rabbit, elk, quail, duck, pheasant, and any number of other wild game. Sure, you can find some of that at a few restaurants, but not down here. If you want any of that stuff down here, you have to kill it yourself. Plus everything BigBuda just said.

I guess you're the kind of person who gets offended by such things as the deer head in my avatar (which I killed and is hanging on my living room wall).

It's illegal to sell wild game meat. The restaurants that serve wild game gets the meat from farms. In other words, it's illegal to sell wild game, but it's legal to sell farm raised wild game....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
Re2point0
Re2point0
09/21/2005 6:45 pm
I've got a magnum rifle wit scope, 12 gauge, auto shotty. And my uncle's got tons of guns. Like crap you'de see on rainbow six and stuff. Dont know why, but he does. haha
# 5
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/21/2005 6:49 pm
Originally Posted by: Re2point0Dont know why, but he does. haha

As the Boy Scout's motto say's.... "Be prepared." :D

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 6
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/21/2005 7:10 pm
2-12 guage semi auto, 12guage double barrel, 10 guage single, 22 handgun
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/21/2005 9:04 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovI hunted for four years without even seeing a legal deer, much less shooting one.

If you weren't probably more interested in the sporting part of hunting I would recommend snares. It's easy to bag deer with them than with any firearm. They also have a 98% hold rate, which is remarkably humane when you compare it to the percentage of deer that get wounded by rifles but not collected (I think the stat is 19%).
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 8
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/21/2005 9:24 pm
Originally Posted by: bigbudaIf you think a handgun won't go through two peices of sheetrock and wound or possibly kill someone on the other side, well you are very mistaken my friend. That's what shotguns are for, they are the best home defense tool around. Shotguns won't harm people at long range or on the other side of a wall. I won't post my arsenal of weaponry here but let's just say I've owned guns since I was 8yrs. old when I got my first 22 from my grandfather. Handguns are for personal protection, here in Texas you can get a concealed carry license and cary a pistol on you almost anywhere.

i'd be more worried about the 12 gague with lead shots than the 9mm with hollow tips. but that's just me...maybe i'm wrong.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 9
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/21/2005 9:34 pm
Nobody should use firearms in an apartment building except for maybe birdshot.

A 9mm luger is much more likely to reach another house than a blast of buckshot, but I don't know how well hollow points can punch through stuff like drywall.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 10
Old School
High Bandwidth
Old School
High Bandwidth
09/21/2005 10:19 pm
Remember... Bear needs to be well done... It too can give you trichinosis.
Is this a Fabreze Moment? C.Y.D. 2Ā¢
# 11
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/21/2005 11:35 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiIf you weren't probably more interested in the sporting part of hunting I would recommend snares.[/QUOTE]
MAJORLY illegal here.

If I ever feel like hunting again, I'm a good enough shot and patient enough to make sure I get at least a lung and the heart.

[QUOTE=tehplatypus]i'd be more worried about the 12 gague with lead shots than the 9mm with hollow tips. but that's just me...maybe i'm wrong.

Unless it hits a load-bearing beam or schmuckers a stud or three, that 9mm could easily kill somebody three or four apartments over.

If you ever make it up here, I'll be glad to demonstrate.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/21/2005 11:42 pm
During ww2 they did a small study on bullets and penetration. What they did was they got a few German helmets, sat them on a table, and shot them. When they shot a helmet with a .45 it barely dented it but it sent it flying over 20 ft. When they shot a helmet with a 9mm it punched through both sides of the helmet without moving it.

Edit: It's worth taking note that if the helmets were not held in place by anything. If they were then the .45 would have done a whole lot more damage.
-A.H.
# 13
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/22/2005 1:42 am
Here's part of my collection that I have here at home.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 14
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
09/22/2005 1:50 am
Originally Posted by: tehplatypusi'd be more worried about the 12 gague with lead shots than the 9mm with hollow tips. but that's just me...maybe i'm wrong.

I guess that all depends on where you are standing when I pull the trigger.

Hey PRS, nice collection bro.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 15
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/22/2005 1:52 am
Looks pretty sweet, especially the 30-30 and the .280.
-A.H.
# 16
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
09/22/2005 1:56 am
as to the question of shotguns vs. handguns honestly, I wouldn't want to have either one pointed at me!

for some reason, in california you have to be 21 to buy a handgun, but 18 to buy a rifle or shotgun... that makes no sense to me... as if one were more lethal then the other!

let's face it, you wouldn't want to be shot with either!
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 17
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/22/2005 1:59 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsas to the question of shotguns vs. handguns honestly, I wouldn't want to have either one pointed at me!

for some reason, in california you have to be 21 to buy a handgun, but 18 to buy a rifle or shotgun... that makes no sense to me... as if one were more lethal then the other!

let's face it, you wouldn't want to be shot with either!

you can conceal a handgun, you can't hide a shotgun so easily.

i think 21 is the national age...because i know it's the same in new orleans/louisiana.
# 18
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/22/2005 2:06 am
Depends on the shotgun. A sawn-off shotty with a small pistol grip can be very easily concealed.

Such weapons are, of course, [u]very[/u] illegal.

I think the age for handguns/ammo is 21 in most states.
-A.H.
# 19
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/22/2005 2:08 am
Originally Posted by: HammurabiDepends on the shotgun. A sawn-off shotty with a small pistol grip can be very easily concealed.

Such weapons are, of course, [u]very[/u] illegal.

I think the age for handguns/ammo is 21 in most states.

well i believe he was asking about legal issues...so an illegal weapon would be a non-issue, now wouldn't it?

....you just wanted to talk about sawn-off shotguns, didn't you? :p
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.