Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
09/21/2005 2:27 am
I live in the ghetto...guns are more common than dirt here. :o
# 1
Danny C.
Danny C.
09/21/2005 2:51 am
I am a proud Republican and while I actually own a couple .22's, my dad lets me call his mine because i use them more than him. He's got a Savage 243, an old army SKS, a couple 30-30's and a couple more I can't think of. I only use them for hunting but its nice to know I have a couple guns within reach even out in the boonedocks where I live. It is impossoble to find anyone around here that doesn't own at least one gun. I think taking a safety course is a very good idea, but they are not only tools they are dangerous weapons. And as long as everyone treats them that way then there is not such a problem. Plus You don't see houses around here getting robbed because they know everyone has a gun and is willing to use them.
The greatest enemy to what you can know, is what you already know.

It's not how good you play, its how well you play it.
# 2
orangeblood
orangeblood
09/21/2005 3:56 am
I own several shotguns for upland and bird purposes. Your point was what again? What I don't understand is the rationale behind selling automatic weapons in the open market. I am sure an oozie will make deer hunting a fabulous experience for everyone.
Live your life as if you are living it for the second time and you have an opportunity to undo the terrible mistake you are about to make

--Viktor Frankl
# 3
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/21/2005 4:07 am
Originally Posted by: Hammurabigood American republicans.

so the kind that hates bush?
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 4
Old School
High Bandwidth
Old School
High Bandwidth
09/21/2005 4:30 am
It seems to me that some people grasp at straws when defending firearms and their purposes...

People forget design...What was a particular item designed to be used for?

1. Hammer... for hammering
2. Baseball bat... batting a baseball
3. Screwdriver... you get the picture
4. Martial arts?...Anyone?
5. Guns?

I semi-agree with rifles and shotguns...people like to hunt. Not me in particular, I like to fish, when I get the chance. (another designed tool..the fishing rod)

Handguns have only one design...and anyone who thinks that design is deterant is fooling themselves. A handgun is as much a deterant as a baseball bat is only there to scare the ball. The self defence card doesn't cut it either..If you think the other guy is going to use his as design intends...your gonna use yours...as designed.

I live in a passive area and I don't have a gun, hand or otherwise...at this time...but I would get one in a second if I felt sufficiently threatened enough that I needed one for use..as designed.
Is this a Fabreze Moment? C.Y.D. 2Ā¢
# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
09/21/2005 5:05 am
Originally Posted by: orangebloodWhat I don't understand is the rationale behind selling automatic weapons in the open market. I am sure an oozie will make deer hunting a fabulous experience for everyone.

ok, there I would have to agree with you, shotguns are ok, cause people like to hunt, and handguns are ok, because people like to shoot targets, and perhaps even enter competitions... but automatics? the only people that would by those would be the people that intend to use them on other people... so, I say that automatics should not be sold to the public... my 2 cents
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 6
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
09/21/2005 5:21 am
Don't own a gun myself, but not by choice, as I intend to get one eventually, I just haven't gotten around to it. If people took their driving skills/habits and washing their hands as seriously as gun control, perhaps we wouldn't have so many traffic deaths and flu/viral fatalities...both of which I'd bet kill more people than guns.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 7
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/21/2005 5:40 am
Originally Posted by: orangebloodI am sure an oozie will make deer hunting a fabulous experience for everyone.
Not if you plan on eating the deer after you've killed it (bullets spoil the meat -- more bullet tracks, more ruined venison steaks).

Though I don't like the idea of full-autos being freely available on the open market, I have shot an MP-5 before and would love to get my hands on an MP-10 (10mm version of the MP-5) because I don't care who you are, shooting a full-auto is FUN. I think our current system of permitting for such weapons is fine as it lets people who behave themselves own them -- for a cost and after extensive background checking.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/21/2005 6:03 am
Originally Posted by: Old School5. Guns?

I semi-agree with rifles and shotguns...people like to hunt. Not me in particular, I like to fish, when I get the chance. (another designed tool..the fishing rod)

Handguns have only one design...and anyone who thinks that design is deterant is fooling themselves. A handgun is as much a deterant as a baseball bat is only there to scare the ball. The self defence card doesn't cut it either..If you think the other guy is going to use his as design intends...your gonna use yours...as designed.

handguns are to defend your house and your home without putting holes through the walls and killing people in other rooms. they're very much for killing and they're very much needed. i lived in a bad neighborhood for the past half year and thankfully no one in the house had to use any of their guns or knives but if someone breaks into my house, they're getting shot first and asked what they're doing later if they can reply.
# 9
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/21/2005 6:05 am
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdDon't own a gun myself, but not by choice, as I intend to get one eventually, I just haven't gotten around to it. If people took their driving skills/habits and washing their hands as seriously as gun control, perhaps we wouldn't have so many traffic deaths and flu/viral fatalities...both of which I'd bet kill more people than guns.

and in fact, car wrecks do! car wrecks are the number 2 killer in the country next to cigarette related deaths.
# 10
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/21/2005 6:11 am
If people took their driving skills/habits and washing their hands as seriously as gun control, perhaps we wouldn't have so many traffic deaths and flu/viral fatalities...both of which I'd bet kill more people than guns.

You bet wisely. Cars are dangerous weapons any jackass barely old enough to shave can misuse and kill people with, but nobody seems to take it into consideration.

Uzis were not designed for the civilian market and are very rarely a practical choice when buying a gun. I don't like the idea of full-autos on the open market because I can't imagine any situation in which any law-abiding citizen would ever need one. Any decent (legal) semi-auto shotgun can, when used properly, dispense an unbelievable tonnage of whoopass. If you ever need anything better than that you shouldn't have pissed off every mafia within 1000 miles in the first place.

What I don't understand is the rationale behind selling automatic weapons in the open market.

Look up the second ammendment of the Bill of Rights. It's the principle of the issue that many people care about, not the practicality.

Edit: One thing some of you might be interested in for home defense is loading a shotty with two types of ammo. The first shot should be light birdshot to prevent accidental and unnecessary deaths and everything after that should be your usual stuff.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 11
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
09/21/2005 6:20 am
Originally Posted by: tehplatypushandguns are to defend your house and your home without putting holes through the walls and killing people in other rooms. they're very much for killing and they're very much needed. i lived in a bad neighborhood for the past half year and thankfully no one in the house had to use any of their guns or knives but if someone breaks into my house, they're getting shot first and asked what they're doing later if they can reply.

If you think a handgun won't go through two peices of sheetrock and wound or possibly kill someone on the other side, well you are very mistaken my friend. That's what shotguns are for, they are the best home defense tool around. Shotguns won't harm people at long range or on the other side of a wall. I won't post my arsenal of weaponry here but let's just say I've owned guns since I was 8yrs. old when I got my first 22 from my grandfather. Handguns are for personal protection, here in Texas you can get a concealed carry license and cary a pistol on you almost anywhere.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 12
markc2005
markc2005
09/21/2005 8:37 am
i dont own any guns
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 13
silentmusic
silentmusic
09/21/2005 10:23 am
well after a good nights sleep im sorry about last night saying im not replying to this thread anymore.. I guess its just that where I live people dont carry guns and such..and it seemd I was being flamed for not agreeing with people owning guns.. yea people hunt and target practice and im totaly cool with that.. its different here in Ireland so owning a gun is not a essential part of life..
Akira says;
"i was expecting some 3476 string string skipping with some 23489172343 octave sweeps and some alt picking runs at 345734237623572bpm in 234872364781246164516th notes across your 2384723648724627348623478264 fret guitar"
# 14
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/21/2005 1:43 pm
Shotguns:
4 - 12ga. one single shot and three semi-auto
1 - 20ga single shot
2 - .410 single shots

Rifles:
1 - .280 bolt action (main deer hunting rifle)
2 - 30-30 lever actions (one for thick woods hunting, and the other is a collerctor)
1 - 30-06 semi auto
3 - .22 two semi auto's, one single shot bolt action

I also see a 1911 .45 in the not too distant future.

I love to hunt, I love to target shoot, and I like haveing the security. They're also real handy for snakes and other random pests. Not all of those are at my house at the moment. I keep one .410 at my grandmothers, I let my dad keep the other one at his house. 2 of the 12ga. auto's, 30-06, 1 .22, and the 30-30 collectors rifle I keep at my grandads, because he has a nice case for them all, and I don't use them. I just have the ones I use at home. I'll see if I can get a pic of them to post.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 15
quickfingers
quickfingers
09/21/2005 3:53 pm
i dont like when people use the excuse of "how am i going to hunt without a gun?" thing. well, for one reason, we live in the 21st century where we dont really NEED to hunt. if you want to use that excuse, awesome. then sell your pickup, your house, and ride horseback and live in a tent in the woods. then you have real reasons to hunt your own food. its not even a question of necessity in this day and age to hunt your own food unless you live outside of any link of society. excuse me for being a conformist to safeway, but i think theres other ways to being a rebel or a hardcore badass than shooting animals that have less defense than a retarded cripple.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 16
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
09/21/2005 3:58 pm
Originally Posted by: quickfingersi dont like when people use the excuse of "how am i going to hunt without a gun?" thing. well, for one reason, we live in the 21st century where we dont really NEED to hunt. if you want to use that excuse, awesome. then sell your pickup, your house, and ride horseback and live in a tent in the woods. then you have real reasons to hunt your own food. its not even a question of necessity in this day and age to hunt your own food unless you live outside of any link of society. excuse me for being a conformist to safeway, but i think theres other ways to being a rebel or a hardcore badass than shooting animals that have less defense than a retarded cripple.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you don't hunt and, probably don't own a gun. Hunting is a sport like fishing or any other sport. Most people hunt for the pure pleasure of being in the outdoors and could care less if they kill anything. When was the last time you saw dove or deer meat on sale at Wal Mart?
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 17
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/21/2005 4:00 pm
There aren't too many places you can go to get good venisen, dove, squirl, rabbit, elk, quail, duck, pheasant, and any number of other wild game. Sure, you can find some of that at a few restaurants, but not down here. If you want any of that stuff down here, you have to kill it yourself. Plus everything BigBuda just said.

I guess you're the kind of person who gets offended by such things as the deer head in my avatar (which I killed and is hanging on my living room wall).
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 18
kingdavid
kingdavid
09/21/2005 4:11 pm
Originally Posted by: R. Shackleferd...If people took their driving skills/habits and washing their hands as seriously as gun control, perhaps we wouldn't have so many traffic deaths and flu/viral fatalities...both of which I'd bet kill more people than guns.

It's one of those "knee-jerk" reaction things.
How much have you heard people tell you about the ravages that HIV/AIDS is meteing out on Africa? Probably a lot. Well, I'm told that good old Malaria kills more people that HIV/AIDS. I'd never have guessed it, looking at all the activity revolving around the scourge (I'd have written "the scourge", but then people might have thought I didn't take HIV/AIDS seriously, which I do).
# 19
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/21/2005 4:16 pm
Originally Posted by: quickfingersi dont like when people use the excuse of "how am i going to hunt without a gun?" thing. well, for one reason, we live in the 21st century where we dont really NEED to hunt. if you want to use that excuse, awesome. then sell your pickup, your house, and ride horseback and live in a tent in the woods. then you have real reasons to hunt your own food. its not even a question of necessity in this day and age to hunt your own food unless you live outside of any link of society. excuse me for being a conformist to safeway, but i think theres other ways to being a rebel or a hardcore badass than shooting animals that have less defense than a retarded cripple.

For one, as has been mentioned, there is the "sporting" aspect of all of this. And the meat you get at Safeway comes from the animals with "less defense than a retarded cripple;" wild game is usually very cautious, very well camoflaged and very good at dodging predators -- even humans.

I hunted for four years without even seeing a legal deer, much less shooting one.

The next consideration is that most of these game animals now have no natural predators and so their populations are suseptable to going catastrophically out of control leading to inbreeding, increased highway deaths, disease, the destruction of wild food-plants, trees and famers' crops and then finally starvation and death. Properly controled hunting is an absolutely essential componant of maintaing healthy game animal populations.

Of course, we could pay Fish and Game officers to do this on top of all their other duties, but why bother when private citizens are more than willing to pay the State for the privelige to indulge their inner hunter-gatherer?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.