Need advice for new "Pro" Amp

Superhuman
Superhuman
09/19/2005 3:40 pm
I'm looking to buy a new amp/cab for studio use and session jams.

It has to have a really powerful kick-ass heavy distortion for rhythm parts and MUST also have excellent variety of tones for lead.

I currently have a Marshall 100DFX, it's a great amp but I'm looking for something with an even more aggressive crunch and a different lead tone.

My current choice is a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier... Anyone got any constructive feedback on this hardware or can anyone suggest anything "better"? Pricing is not too much of an issue.

Cheers
# 1
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
09/19/2005 6:24 pm
I have played through a mesa boogie triple rectifier once (same thing, just with an extra channel) and it produces so much distortion, it really is a good amp for metal. it definately has enough distortion for you, and then some probably.
but I have also played through a marshall JCM2000 TSL100 once, and it produces the most excellent lead tone. the rhythm channel didn't have quite as much grit as the mesa, but it was still enough to get the job done.

both of those amps could do what you want it to, and it's a tough choice, I'm sitting here right now trying to figure out which one I'd rather have, and I really can't decide.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 2
StevenN
StevenN
09/19/2005 8:40 pm
i think that the mesa duel is such a sick amp...im planing to get one myself one sometime in the next three months....another sick amp for any tone you would be looking for is the JCM 900 (which i dont think they make anymore)
but you can get one used off of ebay for a good price another good amp that ive played was a Hughes and kettner, it was prob the best sounding amp ive played in drop c
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.