Short pieces that come almost nowhere...

Joseph
Joseph
05/13/2001 3:20 am
I'll make a right, after the arches, stinking grease and bone. Stopped at the supermarket people stare like I'm a dog."

Lukin: Its been said that this Pearl Jam song is in reference to Matt Lukin of the band Mudhoney. The last part of the song is how a woman who follows Eddie around broke into his house and claims that her son is Eddie's. She is a little nuts.

So what is it that I'm getting at, I'm talking about these short but memorable ditties that our favorite musicians write. Perhaps there are certain short pieces of music (short songs) that really get your mojo going, songs that really mean a lot to you? A lot of people feel that songs like this are written out of frustration, and just to prove that they can. But its more than how most people percieve it, these types of songs aren't exactly thrown together (if anything they're impulsive, but they contain feeling and emotion. Sometimes the first thing that [pops into our head isn't always a bad idea, meaning that we should just go with it. From what I heard this Pearl Jam song was written after a long day of recording, and with Matt Lukin on Eddie Vedder's mind, he put together this song in a matter of minutes, and it was included on the record the last minute.

As musicians, we tend to follow the rules, we try so hard to write the ultimate pop song that we sometimes put way too much pressure on ourselves. The greatest feeling about being a musician, well it has a lot to do with trusting yourself (even when you seem a little crazy.) Its safe to say that I feel the need to create at least one good idea per day, and a thousand mistakes.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.