in search of that telecaster "twang" tone

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
09/08/2005 9:54 pm
any advice as far as amp settings go to get that telecaster twangy tone? do I need slight overdrive? or reverb? or what? I want to be able to get this sound with my gibson SG, because I need to be able to switch back and forth between the twang sound and a good cruch, possibly within the same song (twang for verse, crunch for chorus, twang for bridge, etc.) I'm playing through a Fender FM212R, and I'm pretty sure that the amp is capable of the tone, I just don't quite know how to set it up for that. any tips or advice?
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
Re2point0
Re2point0
09/09/2005 1:15 pm
not sure if this works all the time but gain at about 50 % max your highs and mids then fiddle with the bass a little.
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
09/09/2005 3:57 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOnewant tele twang with SG crunch?

trade your SG get a tele with a neck humbucker. :D

part of the tele twang comes from the bridge setup with its saddles (as opposed to a tune-o-matic), and part of it is from the way the pickup is slanted so that the bass end of the pickup is further from the bridge and the treble end is closer to the bridge.

you may be able to get close by putting in a coil tap, and depending on the pickup you may get something close... you'll need something chunky. also a 250k pot may help.

surely there is someway to achieve it with pedals and/or amp settings? I'm very hesitant to alter my new gibson SG, cause, well, come on! it's a gibson SG! lol. but I wouldn't be able to afford a tele for quite a while, not for a few months at least. I was merely asking if it was possible with the stuff I've already got.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 3
Ian Rossiter
Ian Rossiter
09/09/2005 4:31 pm
Geeze, I'm still searchin for an ideal Tele tone...and I PLAY Tele's!!! (lol)
OK, although I've never tried gettin that tone from an SG....mabey this will get you closer;
- Find yourself a compressor, and MXR Dynacomp works well, other guys have luck with a Boss CS-3. The Boss seems more readily available and has a Tone pot so you can brighten your tone a bit. The Comp is used to even out the attack and to "squish" the tone...in a good way. I use a Virtual Sound Rt 66.
- Use a Hybrid Picking tecnique. Use your fingers on the High strings to SNAP the strings against the frets instead of plucking,this is key to the Tele/ChickinPickin sound.
- Dial out some Midrange on your amp. Alot of Tele players,myself included, use Fender Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb Amps. The Deluxe has no midrange control and this paired with a Tele, gets a twangy/wiry sound, especially on the bass strings. Remember, you're playing an SG so you have wayyyy more mids than a Tele to begin with. Keep that in mind. Mabey use an EQ pedal for a preset Tele'esque tone.
- CHANGE YOUR STRINGS!!!! KEEP EM' FRESH!!!! The sound of new ,un-crudded strings will not only twang better, your intonation will be better and they'll play easier

I'm only on one cup of coffee so far today so thats all I can think of so far.
Good Luck,
Ian
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.