help me with my guitar project!!!

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
09/05/2005 4:47 am
ok, so here's the deal, I've got a cheap $150 ibanez as some of you know. now, for sentimental reasons (first guitar) I can't sell it. so I decided to completely redo it. but I need some help. ok, so what I want to do is completely redo all the electronics, so, there's where I need help, I'm going to be converting it from a s/s/h to a h/s/h with a 5 way pickup slector switch, with the 5 positions being:
Position 1 (closest to neck): Neck pickup
Position 2: neck and middle pickups
Position 3: middle pickup
Position 4: neck and bridge pickups
Position 5 (closest to bridge): Bridge Pickup

I'm going to do 2 500k pots, one master volume and one master tone. so, what I need to know is how to wire this all together, and also which capacitors are good for what sound. I also need to know which kind of wire is best to use.

And I'm also open to suggestions if you guys have any ideas as to what else I could do with this thing.

P.S. it's got one of those hipshot tremolos, so I would ground to that.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
RobSm
RobSm
09/05/2005 6:31 am
Here's a suggestion....browse the pickup manufacturers' sites and check out their wiring options and diagrams.

Seymour Duncan site has lots of options but a good troll around others sholud help too.eg Guitar Electronics, Guitar Nuts,

I'm sure you'll find lots of useful info.

Regards.
Robbo
# 2
RobSm
RobSm
09/05/2005 6:50 am
Further to my reply...

Try the Seymour Duncan site..http://www.seymourduncan.com
then support, then schematics then stratocaster noise-cancelling pickups and make your selection.

That should be close to what you're after.

I still suggest looking elsewher too.

Regards
Robbo
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
09/05/2005 5:36 pm
ok, so I went on ibanez.com to look for wiring diagrams (I tried to last night before I posted this, but the site was down) and found a wiring diagram for an ibanez rg, it's very similar to how I want my guitar to be, the only difference is the pickup selector switch, I like positions 1, 2, 3, and 5 but how would I do it if I wanted position 4 to be both humbuckers, rather then the middle pickup and one coil from the bridge. here's the diagram.

I still have a question about what wire to use though, if i use shielded wire for everything, will it sound better then trying to use a mix of shielded wire in some places and unshielded in others?
and which is better, having a higher gauge (22AWG) or a lower? (18AWG)
my spyspace
# 4
RobSm
RobSm
09/05/2005 9:43 pm
wrt to wiring gauges...

I think shielded wire is recommended where there is a 'long' travel eg from the toggle on an LP to the pots, while on something like a fender, non shielded seems to be OK.

I don't think there is a problem with using both types and I thing 20 gauge would be fine (22 for that matter).

StewMacs, GuitarElectronics, Acmeguitarworks all sell wiring kits so you could check what they all put in them.

I haven't decoded the Ibanez wirogram LOL..It takes me lots of time to follow them all particularly when there's p'up splitting.

Regards
Robbo
# 5
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/06/2005 1:06 am
The higher the gauge number, the thinner the wire. So a gauge 6 wire is thick as a gauge 22 is like a paperclip. The bigger the wire, the more flow of energy. Can't go wrong with the smaller guage wire.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 6
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
09/06/2005 6:31 am
Originally Posted by: elklanderccThe higher the gauge number, the thinner the wire. So a gauge 6 wire is thick as a gauge 22 is like a paperclip. The bigger the wire, the more flow of energy. Can't go wrong with the smaller guage wire.

so you're basically saying that a smaller gauge (thicker) wire is better? or that a smaller wire (thinner) is better???

using logical reasoning, I would think that thicker would be better, but I didn't fully understand you.
my spyspace
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.