Wammy Bar Question

TopDogBmxer
TopDogBmxer
05/10/2001 12:35 am
I was wondering if a wammy bar can be put on as long as u have the spot for it. If so how much does one cost and how much does it usually cost to get it installed? or is it easy enough to put on myself?

Thanks

Scott
# 1
Shreddy Kruger
Shreddy Kruger
05/10/2001 12:52 am
um, im not sure about the cost. They can't be any more than twenty bucks if that, maybe 10 or so. And they are not installed, you screw them into the guitar, and unscrew it when your done.

Chris
# 2
MaxMcD
MaxMcD
05/15/2001 5:39 pm
Dude, I cant believe you didn't get a wammy with your guitar! I can tell you are just starting out so i'll help ya out. first of all a wammy bar must be put on an electric guitar, second, you must have a spot for one! look on the bridge of your guitar (thats the part of the guitar that is below the pickups that all the strings end) now see if there is a small hole on the side, this hole is were
the wammy goes in. A wammy may just pop right in or you may have to screw it. A wammy is very inexpensive and are easy to install (they are made to go in in out quikly in case you are playing something and the wammy is in the way. Go to your local music store and ask them about it.

BUY A TUNER!!! your guitar goes out of tune quik when you have a wammy bar!!!!!
Max McDougall
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/15/2001 11:29 pm
Here's the catch-
If your guitar doesn't have a vibrato bridge (meaning the part that the bar would attatch to), you're looking at serious money to get one installed. A normal "strat" style vibrato bridge is about $60 in Stewart MacDonald's Guitar Shop Supply, and they go up from there. Also, most models you would install would require serious routing. A bigsby style vibrato would only reqire some drilling, but you'll pay atleast $100 in parts, not to mention set up and installation.
If you can see a hole where the bar would screw/slide into, then you're looking at a minor part. One you may even be able to get for free if you go to a decent shop. If not, then you're looking at MAJOR money to get one installed.
Also, depending on the vibrato type, the individual guitar, and how well it's set up, tuning can be a small or major problem. Regardless, it's more of a problem if you do really extream dive bombs and pull ups with it.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.