Question for all you guitarists

heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
07/24/2005 12:54 pm
I have only played guitar for about a year but I am starting to look into getting some effects. My Amp is a Marshall MG15CDR and I was wondering if somebody could please tell me what effects would work on it?
I mostly want to get one of the Danelectro effects but are there any better ones?
If anyone knows effects that I can use please tell me how to connect them because I do not want to waste money on something that will just end up a dust magnet!
I know it might be a stupid question but I'm new to this.
Thanks
Im not ok. Im not okhayhay. Im not ok.
Im not O f****n K.
# 1
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
07/24/2005 2:27 pm
HeKnowsNothing? Great username there buddy. Anyhow...it's alright man, I've asked the same question on a message board before. Basically to connect pedals, there's an input and output(these items are clearly marked as input and output, respectively), you plug a guitar cable into the input and another cable into the amp from the output. If you have more than 1 pedal it's the same thing except instead of going straight into the amp, your output cable goes into the input cable of your next effect pedal. That's pretty much it...it's simple. The cool thing about pedals are that theres no right or wrong way to "chain" them together, so you can come up with a lot of different sounds by changing the location of your pedal in the effects chain.

As for pedals...any pedal is fine at the moment. You just want something to mess around with. One thing that I did...and still do...is use a multi effects processor. Pretty much I bought the Digitech RP100 a couple years ago when I first started, and I thought I wasn't gonna use it long, but I've used it for years already. You can get a decent variety of sounds from it. They just released their new model the RP100A about sometime last year. Basically what it does, is it simulates different amps, mics and effect pedals so you can get just about any sound you want. I know for a fact that the Digitech RP series starts at a pretty low price...I know they have the RP50 which goes for like 50 bucks. And they also have their higher end stuff and the GNX line...which I hear is damn spiffy. =) Anyhow...If you want to get your hands on a bunch of effects but don't want to spend too much money at the moment, I highly recommend Digitech's RP series. One of the cool new things about the RP100A and it's other RP---A series are that they have some patches made by guys like Dan Donegan of Disturbed and Mike Einziger of Incubus. Theyre very cool. They let you make 40 of your own patches, which is basically a set of amps, mics, and fx all stored in one slot on the pedal. It's hard to explain. Once again...I highly recommend it if you dont wanna buy a lot of pedals at the moment.
# 2
heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
07/24/2005 3:15 pm
Cool Ive looked into the RP series and they cost around £100 here in UK. I don't want to spend to much money so I'm looking into the RP80 which is around £50. Is this any good? Does it do the same sort of thing?
Im not ok. Im not okhayhay. Im not ok.
Im not O f****n K.
# 3
jmtasu82
jmtasu82
07/24/2005 4:26 pm
The RP80 is an excellent choice for an effects pedal. It entails all the basic effects and adds the flexibility of arranging your own specific effects in a stored data base. The cool thing about his effects pedal and all the new "modeling gear" is the inherant combination of different effects, amp models, etc in one convenient device. The cost, $79.00, on most web based sites, like MusiciansFriend, Music 123, offers the best pricing. :)
# 4
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
07/24/2005 8:24 pm
Yeah what jmatsu said! I wish they had the RP80 when I first started. One of the cool things about the RP80 is the pedal on the side. The RP100 doesnt have an expression pedal...which sucks. Yeah I say go for the RP80.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.