Screeeeeeeechhh!!!!!!!!

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
07/24/2005 12:15 am
help me out please... ok, so when I'm recording, what I do is run the guitar into my multi-effects pedal, then my effects into the line in on my computer, and record with free software I got off the internet (kristal audio engine) anyways, so, my multi-effects pedal has a switch to swtich between "amp" and "line" and when I'm recording, the "line" gives much better tone, but it makes this horrible horrible screeching sound... it doesn't do it on the amp channel... just the line... I recorded it so you could hear what it sounds like...
downloadable version
hosted version (requires quicktime)
oh, and I forgot to say that that was recorded with the built in noise reducer on my pedal turned on... with that off, it's alot worse... and in order to fully get rid of the squeal (almost), I have to turn the noise gate up to full power, which completely kills my tone and sustain (even though I didn't have great tone or sustain to begin with) so help me please!
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/24/2005 1:22 am
Weird. It almost sounds like feedback. Does it go away if you move away from your computer monitor & speakers?
Maybe look and see if there's a control panel function called 'sound-thru' which you can turn off.
That's about all I can think of. Never heard anything quite like that before.
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
07/24/2005 10:42 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeMaybe look and see if there's a control panel function called 'sound-thru' which you can turn off.

on my pedal? no... on the recording software? nope... on my computer's volume control thing... nope... on my computer's control panel sound settings... nope... couldn't find anything about 'sound-thru'

I'll try tomorrow (it's about 3:45 am here right now) to record something and move away from the computer (that'll be tough as this is such a small room... but I've got a 20 ft. instrument cable, so, I could start walking down the hall or something)

I forgot to mention that it doesn't make any noise while I'm playing usually, it's usually when I'm playing and then stop... hence the reason why in the sound clip, I would just play a power chord or two, then stop, and the screech would come... I don't know how I'd be getting feedback since I'm not using a mic, I'm just going straight into the pc... hmm
my spyspace
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/24/2005 11:33 am
You can get feedback through your pickups too.
Especially on less expensive guitars with stock pickups.
If that isn't the cause, then the only thing I can think is that you might be overdriving the PC input somehow.
Ideally, you'd be best using a mixer before the PC so you can adjust the output before it reaches the computer.
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
07/24/2005 5:07 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeYou can get feedback through your pickups too.
Especially on less expensive guitars with stock pickups.
[/QUOTE]
I'm actually using a vintage 1964 fender mustang and getting that noise... I haven't tried with my cheapo ibanez... I still have to get that wire resoldered on the output jack..........
[QUOTE=schmange]Ideally, you'd be best using a mixer before the PC so you can adjust the output before it reaches the computer.

dude... I'm fricken broke!!! I can't afford that!
my spyspace
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.