New Pickups for '62 strat, issues?

71pilot
71pilot
07/17/2005 2:14 pm
I have a california '62 reissue strat bought new in the late 80's. I recently bought a set of noiseless Fender Hot pickups to give my brain a rest on the single coil hum. When I went to install them I ran into an issue with the depth of the body. Since the Noiseless pickups are essentially 2 single coils stacked and wound in opposite directions, the body pickup cavity is not deep enough. I hate to route out the body, but it looks like if I want to upgrade to noiseless I have to. Anyone out there have any experience with this? Do you do it?, Am I missing something here?

Thanks
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
07/18/2005 12:08 pm
Hm... As far as I can remember... I worked on a '57 Custom Shop Re-issue one time, which are basically the same as the '62s they just have different pickups, and I installed a set up Seymour Duncan mini-humbuckers in it. I know I didn't run into any body routing issues... but then again, the pickups I was installing where horizantally stacked mini humbuckers, yours are vertically stacked minis... I would try to install the pickups in the pickguard and cranking them all the way into the pickguard... then install the pickguard and lower the pickups into place to see where they hit the body of the guitar. Just do a test fit... If you can't get them to lower enough then the only thing you can really do is rout the body... It sucks, but that's the way it goes... The only other thing you can do is take your Noiseless pickups back and get the Seymour Duncan set instead...
# 2
RobSm
RobSm
08/02/2005 1:39 am
Kinman pickups http://www.kinman.com are single coils & noiseless I think.

Browse the web page as there is lots of useful Fender & general information there.

RobSm
Robbo
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.