Bridge and Pins

Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
07/02/2005 11:09 pm
I removed the strings from a 3 year old accoustic for the first time. Now the pins wont re wedge back in to hold new strings...Any suggestions? I beleive the holes are too big...
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/03/2005 6:21 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Among other things, you've just discovered why it's a good idea to replace strings one-at-a-time instead of taking all of them off.

The ball at the string end has a tendency to stay at the end of the pin. This is dangerous because it can cause the pin to come out of the bridge and the string can hurt you. Install them this way:

• Put the pin on the string with the bottom end of the pin at the ball of the string.

• Insert the pin into the hole in the bridge plate, with the pin slot facing the bridge saddle.

• Just before the pin is in far enough to get snug, wiggle the string while gently pulling on it. This should cause the ball to slip off the end of the pin, allowing the string to pull back out a bit.

• Then push the pin firmly into the hole while keeping some tension on the string.

• Do not allow the string to slip back into the bridge plate hole. When the ball end is in it's correct location, it is wedged between the pin and the underside of the bridge plate. The tension on it pushes the pin against the other side of the hole, making it stay in place.

• Keep pulling on the string while you thread the other end into the tuning peg.

• Tighten the tuner until the string matches the pitch of the next lower string. You can tune the low E to B.

• Pull the string up away from the neck about 1/2" (1 cm) at the 12th fret a few times, and then re-tune it. Repeat this until pulling up on the string no longer makes it go flat.

• Then tune it to proper pitch.

• Do the next string.

[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
07/03/2005 6:56 pm
But the holes in the bridge are too large for the pins....there is no wedgeing at all. I fear the bridge may have expanded or soemthing. I guess i could always thicken the peg with something to re wedge it.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/03/2005 7:55 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Well, if you're sure they're no good, it's best to replace them. Check out:
Allparts
Fret Not Guitar Repair
Guitar Parts Resource
Highly Strung
StewMac
[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
07/05/2005 5:59 am
I replaced them and they work great! thanks for the hlp Lord!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.