Mixolydian Penattonic Scale

cayotic727
cayotic727
05/21/2005 7:22 pm
A while ago I bought John PEtrucci's Wild WStringdom book. There a section there with some basic theory and He talks about forming a dorian pentatonic scale. How would I go about forming a Mixolydian pentatonic- the theroy or just a diagram or tabulature diagram would be fine.
Alas for I am Jay! Reviver of very, very old threads!
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
05/21/2005 10:17 pm
The mixolydian pentatonic is just the major pentatonic starting on the 5th scale tone (or the 7th for the minor pentatonic). It's usually called the Dominant pentatonic scale.

A minor pent is A, C, D, E, G, A.

To get the mixolydian (dominant) pentatonic scale start with G (the seventh). You get G, A, C, D, E, G.

It's just like figuring out the modes for the major scale, although instead of using the major scale you just use the pentatonic scale and then go from there.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
audioanimal
audioanimal
05/30/2005 10:21 pm
G, A, C, D, E, G still sounds very major, although would be great over a Gmaj13 or Gmaj6 chord. It has the same notes as a C major pentatonic scale.

It does not have the F, which is what gived the mixolydian mode it's "dominant" or bluesy characteristic.

If I were going to use a mixolydian "pentatonic" scale, I would use G, A, B, D, F, G. This has the 3rd and 7th notes of the G7(dom) chord.

Play both of them over a G7 and you'll hear what I mean.

My opinion.

Peace,
-Rick
Play what you hear
Listen to what you play
Does it sound good?
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.