Breaking in speakers

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/03/2005 1:39 pm
I just got some new speakers for my Marshall 1960a 4x12 cab, and am curious as to how long it usually takes to get them broken in. Also, what's the best way to go about doing it, just playing? Should I refrain from playing very loud for a while? I installed them yesterday and played on them for about an hour or so at living room level or a bit higher. So far, they sound great, but they do sound new if that makes any sence. The speaker's I got were 2 Eminence Governors and 2 Eminence Wizards done in an X pattern. The sound is a lot more 3-dimentional now and a bit more even across the board as apposed to the original Celestion G12T-75's which have a somewhat scooped sound and are fairly harsh in the upper registers. The Governors are supposed to be modeled after the Celestion Vintage 30 and the Wizards are supposed to be modeled after the Celestion G12H30. I've never played either of those speakers so I can't say how true they are, but I chose them because of the Governor's midrange punch and the Wizards more full range. Plus these two speakers are both 75 watts and only differ by 1dB for the SPL G-102dB and W-103dB, and are roughly $50 cheaper per speaker than the Celestions.

Anyway, just curious if there's a "proper" way of breaking in new speakers, and roughly how long it should take.

ps. I'll post some pic's sometime in the next few day's.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
05/03/2005 3:01 pm
The manufacturer should test the speakers before they send them out to make sure there are no major structural problems. So the speakers should be good to go once you get them. However, playing at a low to medium volume for a day or two should allow the speaker material to get "broken in" enough to handle everyday use. Sounds like a sweet set-up though!!!
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/05/2005 3:35 am
Before the swap:

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/06/2005 5:47 pm
Would some bass help break in the cones?
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.