A question of different woods

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/25/2005 8:54 pm
Ok, I'm looking into buying a new guitar. This one is most definitely going to be a customized Carvin guitar. For the most part, I know what I want, but what I'm a bit confused (for lack of better say) on is the wood for the neck, fingerboard and body. I know the jist of how the wood effects the guitar in tone, weight, and sustain and what not. But what I'm a bit uncertain of is how and any other characteristics of tone difference. So I was browsing through the website I saw various different wood options for the neck and body. I felt pretty certain that the different wood options were for more than a cool swirly look under the paint job, but I don't know what. What experience I have with different woods is a mahogany SG with a rosewood fretboard and a Fender Strat with what I'm pretty sure is a maple neck and a body that I don't know. Both sound different and feel different and I like both of the feels the same. But I'm kind of wanting maybe a new feel and tone. The guitar will most likely be geared towards metal if there's a better sound for that. Also, there were some options on different finishes. How would that effect it as well? Thanks.

Here's a link to the page so you can all see for yourself their wood options and what have you.
http://www.carvin.com/wood_finish/
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/25/2005 9:16 pm
Heres a link to some wood descriptions from warmoth...

This is for body woods and characteristics.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

Here is another for neck woods and characteristics.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=guitar_neckwoods

Choose a combination which sounds like you would enjoy(I would bet money that your strat is alder or maple).

finishes are needed if you want your guitar to remain playable(and not have the neck warp).Other than that,i'm not sure how different finishes(laquers,nitro,varnishes,clear coats,primers)affect the tone...something carvin would know more about than me.

What model are you looking at to customize?
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
finkployd2112
finkployd2112
04/25/2005 10:21 pm
Carvins are awesome! I live right next to one of their factories and hope to get a job their soon so that I can afford to get one of these beasts. I love them everytime I go in and play them.
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/26/2005 12:35 pm
Originally Posted by: finkployd2112Carvins are awesome! I live right next to one of their factories and hope to get a job their soon so that I can afford to get one of these beasts. I love them everytime I go in and play them.

No kidding, think you could get them cheaper? For me that is?

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/26/2005 1:20 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartHeres a link to some wood descriptions from warmoth...

This is for body woods and characteristics.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

Here is another for neck woods and characteristics.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=guitar_neckwoods

Choose a combination which sounds like you would enjoy(I would bet money that your strat is alder or maple).

finishes are needed if you want your guitar to remain playable(and not have the neck warp).Other than that,i'm not sure how different finishes(laquers,nitro,varnishes,clear coats,primers)affect the tone...something carvin would know more about than me.

What model are you looking at to customize?

Thanks for the links, big help. And in answer to your question, I am customizing a DC727 guitar and eventually I'm gonna customize an LB75 bass. But the guitar is my priority right now.

Hulk Smash!!

# 5
ake
ake
04/28/2005 6:21 am
It's my opinion that the material an electric guitar is made of is secondary to the type of pups it has.
Ampeg made a guitarbody of clear lucite that was all the rage in the 70s.
Danelectros currently enjoying a resurgence in popularity are pine frames covered with masonite.
The first Tele was made of cheap pine.
Jack White playes a National made of fiberglass

I have built guitar bodys made from 100 yr old mahogany, particle board, plywood, bass wood and spruce. The difference in sound was barely noticable because i put Lawerence sound research 500/dual blade/hmbuckers
in them. Run thru a distortion pedal, solid state amp w/efx; I don't see how the material can make much of a difference. Electrics played acoustly is a different matter. My preference acousticlly was a Stienberger made of graphite and a no name made of a milled aluminum billet. Just my opinion.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/28/2005 1:12 pm
I'll let someone else present a rebuttal. I don't know enough about building guitars to properly oppose or agree.

Hulk Smash!!

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.