Any Rap Fans?

DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
03/29/2005 1:04 am
There have been a lot of posts about your favorite bands and guitars etc..

Anyone a rap fan?

Personally, i like it, but it depends what i am listening to.

I like Jurassic 5 alot, along with arrested development. Public Enemy, Dru Hill, and the Wu Tang Clan are pretty good as well.

Anybody else like rap or "hip Hop".
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/29/2005 2:06 am
Rap.... Hrmmmm. Well, I absolutely hate rap. Can't stand it. But oddly enough, I feel like I owe rap my gratitude. Rap is why I'm into music like I am. If I didn't get into rap then who knows when I would've discovered music. It didn't take long before I made the switch from rap to nu-metal/rap metal though. Only rap artists I can really cite would be Eminem and ICP. Go figure. Then I took a liking to the nu-metal scene and after a sad number of years I discovered real metal. True metal. European metal. Canadian metal. American metal. Asian metal. So many types of metal. Of course in the process of discovering metal I did discover other genres of music. You've got your classic rock, blues, jazz, salsa/latin, carribean, celtic and so forth. Closest I really come to listening to rap is not deleting my ICP collection. As ****ty as ICP is, they are the first group I ever got into. Right now I'm listening to Cattle Decapitation and prior to this track on my playlist I had Severed Savior and Gorguts. And somehow I owe ICP for that. Closest thing to rap that I willingly listen to is trance if I'm in the mood. But other than that I'm metal all the way. And I'm going to sit here until the next track starts so I can tell you all who else is on my playlist. And the verdict is... Dream Theater apparantly.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
03/29/2005 4:29 am
I listen to rap, most due to the fact that I can download music. I have been writing for years, poetry or lyrics or whatever, so it really cool to listen to some really good rap and hear how the words just flow. Rap actually stands for Rythem And Poetry.
A Tribe Called Quest is great, along with Swollen Members, and Abstract. Don't listen to too much newer rap.
1 Peter 2:16
# 3
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
03/29/2005 5:10 am
I like a lot of rap but not a lot of the mainstream MTV rap. Nas, Jurassic 5 and The Roots are probably my favorites right now. I also enjoy Eminem (everything up to his most recent album), D12, Obie Trice, 50 Cent (Get Rich or Die Tryin' album), older DMX, Snoop, some Jay-Z, Bone Thugs n Harmony, older Ludacris.

What I'm getting sick of is Lil' Jon crunk stuff, anything produced by Pharell and the Neptunes. Mainstream rap is kinda an oligopoly now if you know what i mean...
# 4
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/29/2005 6:51 am
Junk,trash,crap e.c.t.

Slap on some fresh high top kicks,gangsta threads and some dope platinum bling and your a rapper.You don't have to know how to rap,just write down some silly 'poetic' lyrics about how hot and untouchable you are,have your friend that has a computer lay down something simple beats in fruity loops and thats it.

The 10 steps to be a rapper...

#1 Always swear alot.MF'er is the current mainstay and can fill gaps where other intelligent,yet unaccepted words may fit.

#2 If you don't have a heavy african american accent,then you must develop one.Proper english is not an option either.Ebonics(bad english) and trendy slang is a must.

#3 Rip off any popular rhymes or beats you hear.

#4 Dress the role.Even more so if you are not black.Wear non-existent gang colors and walk with an attitude.Be ready to take your shirt off and fight at the drop of a hat(usually when engaged with an elderly woman asking that you please be silent during a movie).

#5 Claim you have money,girls and guns.

#6 Say you have been shot numerous times and have been to prison(for murder if at all possible)

#7 Say you grew up in the streets of (insert rough place here)

#8 Talk about dealing crack,smoking weed all the time and running from the cops.

#9 If you are black,use the 'N' word to address people.If you are caucasian use the 'N' word to commit suicide.

#10 If another rapper 'dis's you,attempt a drive by,but miss and hit a pregnat woman or child on a bike.

And there you have it.Just remember one last thing...don't get gold or platinum teeth...you'll get them kicked out in prison.

Later G!
Try once,fail twice...
# 5
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
03/29/2005 7:11 am
Originally Posted by: Homebrew1709What I'm getting sick of is Lil' Jon crunk stuff,

WWHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
1 Peter 2:16
# 6
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/29/2005 8:26 am
Originally Posted by: crazywolfWWHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thats half of most rap material right there!
Try once,fail twice...
# 7
XChris557
XChris557
03/30/2005 10:51 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartJunk,trash,crap e.c.t.

Slap on some fresh high top kicks,gangsta threads and some dope platinum bling and your a rapper.You don't have to know how to rap,just write down some silly 'poetic' lyrics about how hot and untouchable you are,have your friend that has a computer lay down something simple beats in fruity loops and thats it.

The 10 steps to be a rapper...

#1 Always swear alot.MF'er is the current mainstay and can fill gaps where other intelligent,yet unaccepted words may fit.

#2 If you don't have a heavy african american accent,then you must develop one.Proper english is not an option either.Ebonics(bad english) and trendy slang is a must.

#3 Rip off any popular rhymes or beats you hear.

#4 Dress the role.Even more so if you are not black.Wear non-existent gang colors and walk with an attitude.Be ready to take your shirt off and fight at the drop of a hat(usually when engaged with an elderly woman asking that you please be silent during a movie).

#5 Claim you have money,girls and guns.

#6 Say you have been shot numerous times and have been to prison(for murder if at all possible)

#7 Say you grew up in the streets of (insert rough place here)

#8 Talk about dealing crack,smoking weed all the time and running from the cops.

#9 If you are black,use the 'N' word to address people.If you are caucasian use the 'N' word to commit suicide.

#10 If another rapper 'dis's you,attempt a drive by,but miss and hit a pregnat woman or child on a bike.

And there you have it.Just remember one last thing...don't get gold or platinum teeth...you'll get them kicked out in prison.

Later G!

Oh my jeeziiizz thats funny - it's totally true though
# 8
XChris557
XChris557
03/30/2005 10:54 pm
Yeah I have absolutly no respect fer rap - it doesn't take any talent what so ever besides Rythem witch ..who doesn't have..dumbs thats who -

Retards attempting poetry ...rythem and poop
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/30/2005 11:21 pm
I don't particularly enjoy "gangsta' rap." However, hip-hop and old school can sometimes be appealing. I'm not going to rule it out as a valid musical form (even though it doesn't fit into the traditional definition of "music"). But I think our goal as musicians is to continuously question and refine what exactly "music" is.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 10
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/31/2005 12:18 am
Rhythm and poetry my ass. More like repetative and profane. I fail to see the poetry in constantly talking about banging women, smoking pot, dealing drugs and gang life. That's one thing I feel is admirable about death metal over rap. Even though it's all fictional and about violence (in its own way), you talk to any of the people in real life and they're normal people with normal lives. Most of them just do that because they want to, but all the interviews and what not I've seen with a rap artist and they're all trying to live up to this hardcore dangerous image. At one point rap may have been rhythm and poetry, but now it's all image based and centered around money.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 11
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/31/2005 1:04 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsMore like repetative and profane.

Tell me... should "Metal" be defined and judged by, say the racist views of a few bands or should it be by the reality that there's all kinds of views, styles and different degrees of talent within the genre?

A lot of Rap IS utter trash, but that doesn't make the whole genre "repetative and profane." Some of it is very inventive, some bands actually make their own music (rather than sampling everything), and a lot of it has some very important things to say.

"It's not them that's killing us, it's us that's killing us."
-Tupac
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
XChris557
XChris557
03/31/2005 1:50 am
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovTell me... should "Metal" be defined and judged by, say the racist views of a few bands or should it be by the reality that there's all kinds of views, styles and different degrees of talent within the genre?

A lot of Rap IS utter trash, but that doesn't make the whole genre "repetative and profane." Some of it is very inventive, some bands actually make their own music (rather than sampling everything), and a lot of it has some very important things to say.

"It's not them that's killing us, it's us that's killing us."
-Tupac

true but his lyrics are as far as the talent goes - how easy is it to make a rap song ... and how much easier is it to put lyrics into that song that just talks bout slappin da hoes - rap takes the least talent from any style of music
# 13
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
03/31/2005 1:57 am
a classic example is Eminem. His stuff is funny however its really a dumb form of rap. Its just him telling jokes in rhythm. But, he has done some stuff with other rappers and does it seriously and it sounds a lot better. Ex. Him and 50 cent, when he helped 50 with one of his songs he had a "solo" in it that was serious. I'll listen to rap anyday, but over rock, not even close.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 14
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/31/2005 2:16 am
Rap is much more of a fad.It really is the a 'bread and butter' of modern youth culture and is accepted widley more so than pop even(mabey).

I'll admit there are a few good lines here and there,but thats it.Rap is most usefull if you have no identity...
Try once,fail twice...
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/31/2005 2:23 am
[font=trebuchet ms]My taste for rap begins (and ends) with Tone Loc "Funky Cold Medina".[/font] :cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 16
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/31/2005 3:04 am
Originally Posted by: XChris557true but his lyrics are as far as the talent goes - how easy is it to make a rap song ... and how much easier is it to put lyrics into that song that just talks bout slappin da hoes - rap takes the least talent from any style of music

I don't care what style of music it is, it takes whatever talent you're going to put into it.

Other than that, Pony summed up everything else I was going to say very nicely so I'm not going to repeat it.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 17
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/31/2005 3:17 am
mabey 'fad' wasn't the best word...massive bandwagon?
Try once,fail twice...
# 18
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/31/2005 3:47 am
Originally Posted by: XChris557rap takes the least talent from any style of music

Actually, I think Grindcore takes the cake there.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 19
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/31/2005 3:53 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonActually, I think Grindcore takes the cake there.

hmmm...ever hear exhumed?Neat solo's,rhythms e.c.t.
Try once,fail twice...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.