ok, since EVERYBODYS DOING IT

Rob_H
Rob_H
03/21/2005 10:53 pm
chucklivesoninmyheart

ive recently started weight lifting and have a few friends who have been doing it for a few years and they have given me lots of advise, ive also researched a lot on the internet etc and ive gained quite a knowledge and some interesting and sceintific common facts

if you want to get big you need to eat a lot, count up how many calories you eat in a normal day, add 500 to this and that is how many you should eat per day from now on.

weigh yourself get your weight in pounds, you should ideally eat 1 - 1.5 grams of protein for each pound you weigh, the best sources or protein are, chicken, eggs, fish, milk, cheese, etc but to make you target protein intake you will most likely need a protein supplement, try "whey protein" shakes that is the best source or protein.

instead of trying to cram all of this nutrition into 3 or so meals, eat a small mean every 2-3 hours, and count stuff like protein bars/shakes as a meal. imagine your body is a battery, you need to keep it charged up. if you dont eat often you body uses your fat and muscle to keep you going so you will not gain, by eating small meals ofter this will not happen, or at least to a lesser extent.

when working out remember its not how many reps you do its the weight that makes you big, forget this 50 curls and all that, if pony can do a set of 50 reps he's not doing the right amount of weight maybe 5 sets of 10 reps or something, 4 sets of 8-12 reps with 12 reps max, do one set lighter so you can do 12 reps without too much trouble just to ensure correct form, then increase the weight until you can only just do 8 reps, this way you will tear the muscle fibre forcing it to repeair itself, and during repeair a new layer of firbe is also grown, hence you get bigger and stronger. dont lift too heavy for yourself but always lift what is heavy too you, less reps with heavy weight does tonnes more than high reps with less weight for you

next work out routine:
dont work out everyday you'll only overtrain your self, 3 times a week and divide you body up into sections, for example

mon - chest/biceps
tue - off
wed - legs/back
thurs - off
fri - shoulders/triceps
sat - off
sun - off

and never work the same muscle more that once a week you will not increase very quickly.

and finally about abs, everyone has a six pack its just covered with a layer of fat so you cant see it, of course you need to work it to get big abs by doing situps, crunches, etc but the real key to it is to lower you body fat % by doing cardio, losing this fat means the six pack you've always had can now be seen

hope you find that helpful.

ps. get lots of sleep because your muscles dont grow as you train, they grow as you sleep and rest.
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/22/2005 1:36 am
lol,rob youve visited the sites ive visited most likley.You just compiled all the information I know...which is near impossible to follow through with myself.Hey,if I had the means to buy myoplex,whey protien shakes,creatine e.c.t and follow a running/hypertrophy lifting program,I would.That IS the way to go,but much,much easier said than done.

I'm not that big(5'11/6'0 180lbs),but I do have a very high percentage of body fat...calories in my case would come 2nd or 3rd to protiens and amino acids/vitamins...

Not being very big,I know i'm unhealthy as I have a high number of deep,dark stretchmarks on my thighs,sides and behind my arms(the ones on my lower back have faded...hope the others do too)...
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/22/2005 1:56 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheart
Not being very big,I know i'm unhealthy as I have a high number of deep,dark stretchmarks on my thighs,sides and behind my arms(the ones on my lower back have faded...hope the others do too)...

me too... but just on my sides and on my arms... I'm not very big really so I didn't quite know what was causing it... a high percentage of body fat would do it? oh... yeah... my mom has this wierd scale where you tell it your age, whether you are a male or female, and your height, and then it weighs you, and then somehow it has sensors that detect something in your feet to determine your body fat %... and it told me I had 26%... I thought it was wrong because I'm really not that big... 5'8" 165 lbs... and not super fat... but I guess it was right then... I'm really not wanting to be body-builder size, so would cardio be the best way to go? and if so then what form of cardio? I do have access to a treadmill, and a stair climber, and a stationary bike... but I have really low lung capacity/endurance, like when I run on the treadmill I can't go 10 minutes at 6 mph! pathetic! I wish I knew how to work on that too... so when I do cardio, I only end up burning 200 or so calories (according to the treadmill) in the half-hour that I use it because I'm walking most of the time that I'm on it... I try to run... but I get so out of breath that I can't anymore, and I have to start walking...
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 3
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
03/22/2005 5:06 am
If you want to lose weight, I have the secret......diet fricken V8 splash!!!!
That should do the trick. Well since everyone else giving their h/w/and bf% I guess I'll give mine. About 5'8" and 140lb and prolly a 10% body fat. My upper body is not the biggest......but my big muscular legs are the only thing keeping me above 140. I really don't work out that much....needless to say. I recently started, but have kinda stopped. Hope to start back up again soon. My small size really dosent hold me back though. My mind takes over for whatever my body may lack in size, and I will still stand up to a big guy.

PonyOne.....do you mind if I put a picture of you in my walllet. hahaha jk
Thats pretty cool being vegitatian. I have a friend who is. Its funny, she has fished a few times, even got second place in a little fishing contest, but she dosent like to eat it. I was at her house and a little hungry, so she gave me one of her fake meat chicken patty things....not too bad. Still love the real thing, but I don't think anyone could use the excuse that the food just isnt good if you are a vegitarian, there is just so much out there.
1 Peter 2:16
# 4
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/22/2005 5:51 am
Originally Posted by: crazywolf
PonyOne.....do you mind if I put a picture of you in my walllet.

I just got done watching 'The Fan' with robert deniro...you might not wan't to acknolege that pony....hey pony!
Try once,fail twice...
# 5
Rob_H
Rob_H
03/22/2005 11:52 am
I probly have visited most of the same sites as you while searching for info, lol

there are some good bits of info on some sites, also some have a calculator where you enter your body weight, and it tells you how many, calories, proteins and carbs you need to eat each day. if you dont understand all that stuff use the calculator and just add the numbers up on the back of the food packs you eat, and try to eat as many as the calculator says you should

i also got a lot of info from a friend who has been doing weights for about 2 years and he is huge now, he used to be quite weedy 2 year ago. i recently started going to the gym with him and he told me all about the complicated stuff like the calories and protein intake, and about how much weight to lift all that 8 rep stuff, and the example routine i posted is the routine we follow you should maybe give it a whirl

and in reply to you "id use creatine, protein and all that if i could" you only need whey protein or another form or protein supplement, creatine isnt worth the money from what ive read and what people have told me. if you find its money that limits you, i suggest you save up a bit and buy a bulk tub or protein that way you save in run.

good luck
# 6
kingdavid
kingdavid
03/22/2005 3:58 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrs...every calf is sent off to be made into veal...

People need to learn how to make sensible propaganda.
So, if every calf is taken off to be made into veal, where do grown up cows come from? Some coppermine? :rolleyes:
# 7
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/22/2005 9:25 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsI'm not so sure that every calf is sent off to be made into veal.

dude, I didn't say that every calf was made into veal... I said I didn't think that they were!
my spyspace
# 8
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
03/22/2005 11:18 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrs...every calf is sent off to be made into veal. [/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=kingdavid]People need to learn how to make sensible propaganda.
So, if every calf is taken off to be made into veal, where do grown up cows come from? Some coppermine? :rolleyes:

Kingdavid.....please tell me that you had every intention of being crowned the king of irony.....because if so, you definately deserve the title for that one!!
# 9
kingdavid
kingdavid
03/23/2005 3:38 pm
I HATE it when people don't understand something I say here, coz then I have to explain it, a moment that was supposed to be funny is serious, and if the person doing the misunderstanding is armed with Keyboard-to-Keyboard-Banning-Missiles, KA-BOOM!!!!!
Six strings:
I'm in perfect agreement with you. When I say people, I'm refering to the PETA people who claim(ed) that [u]all[/u] calves are made into veal. Coz if that was the case, then fully-grown cows are hatched from ostrich eggs, right? Or maybe mined from a coppermine. Hence the :rolleyes:
Cool?
:)
# 10
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
03/23/2005 5:43 pm
Originally Posted by: kingdavidI HATE it when people don't understand something I say here, coz then I have to explain it, a moment that was supposed to be funny is serious, and if the person doing the misunderstanding is armed with Keyboard-to-Keyboard-Banning-Missiles, KA-BOOM!!!!!
Six strings:
I'm in perfect agreement with you. When I say people, I'm refering to the PETA people who claim(ed) that [u]all[/u] calves are made into veal. Coz if that was the case, then fully-grown cows are hatched from ostrich eggs, right? Or maybe mined from a coppermine. Hence the :rolleyes:
Cool?

Wow, definately did not see that one comming!.....unless you killed two birds with one stone unintentially. That was still great regardless.
# 11
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/23/2005 9:17 pm
Originally Posted by: kingdavidI HATE it when people don't understand something I say here, coz then I have to explain it, a moment that was supposed to be funny is serious, and if the person doing the misunderstanding is armed with Keyboard-to-Keyboard-Banning-Missiles, KA-BOOM!!!!!
Six strings:
Cool?

sorry for the confusion... I'm blonde, lol. but yeah, I agree with you.
my spyspace
# 12
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/23/2005 10:42 pm
it's amazing how we got so off topic in just three days... and only two people actually congratulated me on reaching 250, even though I'm at like 289 now. lol. jeez, I just realized I made 39 posts in the last 3 days... lol
my spyspace
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.