Get a job?

chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/18/2005 1:10 am
Me get a job?!

Yeah,i'm applying at the local sam ash(the biggest in the world) music store.Ive NEVER had a job before so my resume will be thin.

Any pointers for dealing with management,supervisors e.c.t?I'm as nervous as scott peterson in an electric chair!
Try once,fail twice...
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2005 1:46 am
OK here is my 2C ignore as appropriate. I honed my general public skills working as a waiter for 5 years !!

Smile when you enter a room. Don't ever lose your temper. Always appear enthusiastic even if the other person is talking ****. Always use the word "yes" even if you are saying "no whey you're an idiot". Be honest with people in a diplomatic way. That means be honest with out hurting there feelings. Remember you can torpedo an idea with out torpedoing a person. Respect is something you earn and the general public are on the whole idiots who think they are great. They are not being paid to be in the store and you are being payed to sell them stuff. Wether you sell them what they want is up to you however if you leave them feeling like you helped them out, they will come back.

And good luck dude, we will cross our fingers for you !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/18/2005 4:11 am
A common goal doesn't hurt either. It's not so much of a necessity as the proper etiquette aspects, but it doesn't hurt to have something to lighten the tension and make things more casual. That's pretty much how I landed my job... well, that and the fact that the fates must've been working in my favor. But it'll make you seem like a friend as well as a coworker which isn't bad. What friend wouldn't get another friend a job if able to? Face them and make plenty of eye contact with everyone in the room while speaking and give your undivided attention to whomever may be speaking as well. And when someone asks you if you have any questions ask a question, it'll make you seem more interested in what they do. And in the occurance of a hand shake, don't just flop a cold, dead fish type hand shake in there, make it firm and respectable. If you're going to go limp then you may as well just greet them with a kick in the crotch. It'll make you look just as good. Of course these suggestions are more so just things to polish up the rest of your act with, if the interview itself doesn't go over too well then the chances are people aren't going to be saying "but he gives great hand shakes". Brush up on your charisma, do a google search for questions typically asked in an interview, gather up all of your self-confidence and knock 'em flat.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 3
ake
ake
03/18/2005 4:36 am
When I applied for jobs I was extremely nervous so I drank beer until the nervousness went away. I always thought the interview went very well. Never got the job though. Huh??
best of luck. The above advice from ce and dr. was sound.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2005 4:55 am
If I was interviewing someone and they smelt of beer or were sweating and stared off into the middle distance, I'd not give them a second thought.

Don't go to interviews pissed. Nervousness is natural, drunk is bad judgment !

Say you have something difficult to do at work, wot you gona do hit the bottle ??
# 5
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/18/2005 5:20 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonSay you have something difficult to do at work, wot you gona do hit the bottle ??

Difficult?I wasn't told work might involve difficulty!Ah crap!

Well,if I get the job then I will also make commision,so i'll be sure to peddle like no ones business(except theirs).

If I can sell just one Roland TD-20S V-Pro Electronic Drum Set or a few PRS's everday then i'll be set(lol)!

And I get a discount on everything in the store!My friend at the other local music store is getting me a discount on an Ibanez prestige 7 string(retails roughly $800 and hes getting me it for $600)...mmmm sweet.
Try once,fail twice...
# 6
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
03/18/2005 5:50 am
I have never been hired unless it was right their on the spot. Make sure you talk to a manager, and if they say they will give you a call, you will most likely never hear back from them. I applied at the same place 3 times once, and didn't get hired till I talked to the boss when I gave him my app. If you get an interview, try to notice something about the interviewer to get them to talk about themself....people love to talk about themselfs. Try to notice a picture of his/her kids, doggs, or something. If all else fails and you see no hope, bite the head off a bat like Ozzy, that should do the trick.
1 Peter 2:16
# 7
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/18/2005 5:58 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartI'm as nervous as scott peterson in an electric chair!

Tip for the interview: don't tell that joke.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 8
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/18/2005 11:42 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonTip for the interview: don't tell that joke.

yeah,cause then they would know i'm feeling nervous...like scott peterson!
Try once,fail twice...
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/18/2005 5:18 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartyeah,cause then they would know i'm feeling nervous...like scott peterson!

Exactly!!!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 10
joshers
joshers
03/18/2005 8:31 pm
i dont know about you guys but here in cali we get that one commercial from mastercard, this guy dressed all in green (paint) and this annoying song in the background "get a job". well that motivated me to get a job, basically applied at ups and during the interviews, always go well dressed, and be polite. never do anything that will make them dq you on the spot.... and by no means involve drugs or jokes!
# 11
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/18/2005 10:55 pm
Originally Posted by: joshersi dont know about you guys but here in cali we get that one commercial from mastercard, this guy dressed all in green (paint) and this annoying song in the background "get a job".

I live in cali, but I have not seen that commercial... probably cause I don't watch t.v. that much, and when I do it's at 2 in the morning, so the only commercials are beer and phone sex commercials
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 12
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
03/18/2005 10:58 pm
Originally Posted by: joshersnever do anything that will make them dq you on the spot.... and by no means involve drugs or jokes!

Unless you are applying for a job in the mob or trying to do stand up.
1 Peter 2:16
# 13
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/19/2005 12:07 am
Originally Posted by: crazywolfUnless you are applying for a job in the mob or trying to do stand up.

Drum roll "crash"
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 14
kingdavid
kingdavid
03/19/2005 3:37 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon...Don't ever lose your temper. Always appear enthusiastic even if the other person is talking ****...

So, what evil spirit takes over when you click on "log in" on GuitarTricks?? :D
Coz that sure as hell isn't your GuitarTricks Moderator's Mantra!!

I couldn't even wait to finish reading your post to write this one.
I hope I beat Jolly to it!!!!!
# 15
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
03/19/2005 4:16 pm
Best tip I got for an interview was: Be yourself.

Don't be afraid to brag about yourself, heck someone's gotta do it.

Just be yourself, and if they like you and your skills, they'll hire you.

Best of luck!!
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 16
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/19/2005 10:07 pm
Originally Posted by: kingdavidSo, what evil spirit takes over when you click on "log in" on GuitarTricks?? :D
Coz that sure as hell isn't your GuitarTricks Moderator's Mantra!!

I couldn't even wait to finish reading your post to write this one.
I hope I beat Jolly to it!!!!!

Are you buying anything form me ?
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.