Holy crap I am on a roll... Now I've got tapping going

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/16/2005 3:48 am
Rock on to me. It all began a while ago when I cranked 8th notes up to 200 bpm in about 2 days, then my sweeping flares up to coherant 5 string sweeps in about a week from barely tolerable 3 strings. Now tapping. I just this very second pulled out a tapping piece that at first uses 2 fingers on the left hand and all 4 on the right hand then cranks up to using all 8 digits. I don't know what's wrong with me. It's like I'm suddenly doing things right. Thing that gets me most about this is before this incident I've basically done very basic 2 to 3 finger taps, you know, things that look like this

9--5--7---9--5--7, etc.

then bam, I'm good. Just had to take a moment to boast I guess. Feel free to comment on my excellence.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/16/2005 4:40 pm
Crazy isn't it. All of a sudden you qualify to advertise yourself as a competant guitarist, and you have something to back yourself up with.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
English Enigma
English Enigma
03/16/2005 9:12 pm
Yeah i know the felling, I could never write solo licks or if I did I could not join them together, then one night it clicked and now I can
# 3
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/16/2005 9:43 pm
Plateau,plateau,plateau!Hahahahaw!

I'm keeping up the alternate picking practice with minimum movment(just using my index and thumb to trem pick is my goal)

Does anyone know of a compendium of arps?I would like to break out of the 3 arps I abuse.
Try once,fail twice...
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/17/2005 12:37 am
I was on a plateau a few days ago. I started getting kind of bored of my lack of creativity and what not. Then it came flying at me like a brutal fist punching my lights out. So I talked to myself through the night about what I've accomplished vs what I haven't and came to the conclusion that my technique was good for the time and it was time for me to focus more on theory for a while. Thus I'm looking into some more scales and some more chord theory. Furthermore I'm on a roll tonight as well, I just made some bad ass riffing and what not that I'm dying to put into a song. It's brutal as hell.

Hulk Smash!!

# 5
Sclorch
Sclorch
03/18/2005 4:42 pm
This past week has been my most productive week by far.
I just wrote some cool 4 finger taps, previously I was only able to tap out one part of eruption, like 10-5-8, 10-5-8 9-4-7, 9-4-7 etc something like that anyway, I found if you use your wrist to silence the lower strings it makes the tapping sound a lot clearer and less muddled expecially on the high e string
And just this morning I can suddenly sweep! Not bad considering I just started trying it a couple weeks ago. Its not so hard once you get down the motion and the way you let the pick "sweep" across the strings.
I also switcheed my regular picking technique instead of free floating I anchor my pinky to the fretboard kind of like how marty friedman does it. Its a lot faster and more accurate except when you switch strings, but couple more weeks practice and it should all be peachy, wierd when I first started playing I anchored my pinky too but then I read that its a bad technique so switched to free floater
# 6
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
03/21/2005 2:37 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheart
Does anyone know of a compendium of arps?I would like to break out of the 3 arps I abuse.

You know what's a great little composition everyone knows using arps? Eugene's Bag Trick featured in Crossroads (1986) by Steve Vai and Rye Cooley (sp. ??)
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.