Sonic Maximizer help?

Shadowborn
Shadowborn
03/13/2005 6:11 am
I recently added a Sonic Maximizer to my guitar rig with the hope of clarifying and tightening up the sound.

Not being to familiar with this piece of equipment, I followed the advice of the manual as to where to include it in the signal path.

The problem is; I don't seem to hear a noticeable difference in the sound unless I completely tweak out the "Proccess" and "Lo Contour" knobs.
And even then, you can't tell much difference!

My only conclusion is that I must not have it placed in the right area of the signal path. The signal runs as follows:

1. Guitar into amp input.

2. Cable leading from Pre-DSP send on amp, to Noise Exterminator.

3. Patch from Noise Exterminator, to Sonic Maximizer.

4. Cable back to Pre-DSP return on amp.

5. Amp to speaker cabinet.

Is there a flaw here somewhere?

If anyone has any experience with these type of proccessors, or advice on their use, I would sure appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I was'nt expecting a "Huge" difference in the sound, but I was expecting at least something a little more "there"! As of the present, I'm starting to wonder if it's a useful item at all in a guitar rack. :cool:
If eyes are the mirror to the soul, you will see yourself as I see you
# 1
SPL
SPL
03/13/2005 5:09 pm
Originally Posted by: ShadowbornAs of the present, I'm starting to wonder if it's a useful item at all in a guitar rack. :cool:

Eventhough it is marketed to work well in a guitarists set up, it actually has no business being there. There is simply no need in a guitars' tone for those extra lows and high that the BBE adds. It creates a scooped mids sound that'll get you lost in the mix of a band.

My opinion? It's useful tool in the studio, for example to brighten up and give more bottom to an acoustic with old strings. But it has no use in a guitarists rack.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/13/2005 5:19 pm
Yep, all of what SPL said. However another thing that maybe not helping you is that the the sonic maximizer will be wanting a Line level signal. Often guitar amps loops will output HiZ (not line level) signal for stomp boxes and this may mean you are not getting the best sound possible out of the unit. Some amps have a switch on the back to toggle the loop between HiZ and line level which may help.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Shadowborn
Shadowborn
03/14/2005 3:55 am
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and info. :cool:
If eyes are the mirror to the soul, you will see yourself as I see you
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.