Outta tune

Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
03/06/2005 10:12 pm
I seems that only one string goes really outta tuen when i bend it. Besides the strings itself, what else could be the problem?
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 1
blackstrat
blackstrat
03/07/2005 1:15 am
Seems like the "G" string just wont stay in tune...I have a Mexican Strat, just bought 2 weeks ago...wish I could figure out what the deal is.... :eek:
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/07/2005 1:55 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Stuff like that happens when something 'stores' string tension in one place instead of maintaining even tension over the entire length of the string.

The most common cause is having the string get pinched in the slot through the nut. When you bend a string, you increase the tension on the string between your finger and the tuning machine. When you release the string, the nut does not allow the string to move freely back to it's original condition. It 'stores' some of that extra tension between the nut and the tuner, leaving the string with less tension between the nut and the bridge. It now sounds flat, because of the reduced tension. The same thing can happen between the bridge and tailpiece of some guitars.

Slack off the string, and fub the point of a very sharp pencil in the slot at the nut and at the bridge saddle. Tune the string back to proper pitch and try bending it. The graphite from the pencil may provide enough lubrication to fix it. Otherwise, get a tech to open up the slot [u]slightly[/u] so that the string moves freely. If the problem persists, you might consider installing a Graphtech nut and bridge saddles.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
03/10/2005 5:23 am
Originally Posted by: CW14My guitar (strat copy) has that problem too. But I would sooner throw it out than get it fixed!

hahaha me too
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.