Hotel California

KRUNO
KRUNO
02/25/2005 6:42 pm
Hi guys! Hope i"m not boring you, but i have this one question. Again, that is.
You know hotel california by eagles? Nyhow, in the middle of the solo the guy does a bend ont the 12th fret of the high e, in which, i am pretty sure of it, he uses a temolo. I think the same thing is played on the Brick int the wall solo by Pink Floyd. But how exactly is it done? If anyone can help me, i would appreciate it.

PS. Since we are bout bendin" here, heard Nazareth, love hurts? How does he bend that one, if bending is what he does? Or is ist a pull off?
Hope i don"t iritate you guys with all this questions! Thanks upfront for all replies!
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/25/2005 6:49 pm
Originally Posted by: KRUNOPS. Since we are bout bendin" here, heard Nazareth, love hurts? How does he bend that one, if bending is what he does? Or is ist a pull off?
Hope i don"t iritate you guys with all this questions! Thanks upfront for all replies!

He does something called a "pre-bend." In a pre-bend, one bends to the note without actually playing the string, then picks the string to sound the note to which he has already bent, then usually releases to the note he's bending from (like in "Love Hurts").
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/25/2005 6:57 pm
Originally Posted by: KRUNOHi guys! Hope i"m not boring you, but i have this one question. Again, that is.
You know hotel california by eagles? Nyhow, in the middle of the solo the guy does a bend ont the 12th fret of the high e, in which, i am pretty sure of it, he uses a temolo. I think the same thing is played on the Brick int the wall solo by Pink Floyd. But how exactly is it done? If anyone can help me, i would appreciate it.

Ok, just listened to the solo. I laughed out loud when I realized what you were talking about, because I LOVE this technique. He's bending from the fret you said, but while bent he's plucking the string and then muting it shortly after before plucking it again. This gives it a very staccato feel.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
KRUNO
KRUNO
02/27/2005 6:22 am
Ok, I"ve got it now. a bit hard to do, too. At least for me. But, practice makes perfect, or so they say. Thanks Jolly!!
# 4
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
02/28/2005 10:46 pm
Hotel California is what inspired me to take up guitar. When I heard the intro of the unplugged version, that was it for me. I spent so much time working on the chord progressions and picking patterns trying to sound like the song and it finally dawned on me: they were using a 12 STRING...
# 5
KRUNO
KRUNO
03/02/2005 6:32 pm
Yeah, dude! 12 string it is! You can hear it quite nicelly!

PS. Studio version is also with a 12 string.
:)
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.