Are my tubes going or is it my amp?

Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
02/24/2005 5:54 am
Well i had previous stated this in a post earlier...but i cant find it so ill restat it again since i have new info... i get a wispy sound from my amp...(kinda like when u just turn on a gas fireplace or light a gas stove) that comes through. Also now the sound has dropped in and out as i play. The amp also sounds muddier then when i first got it... It been about 2 years i ve owned this amp but i never really push it that hard so could it be the tubes or the amp? Ive had too return this amp like 3 times so im weiry but i beleive its probably a tube problem. How do i know for sure? How do i isolate the tube thats the problem? How do i change it etc... so i can get rid of that noise. I dont wanna bring it to a tech to replace the tube cuz im a broke student. Also apparently my amp is auto biasing...because it converts currents.

Thanks.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/24/2005 6:45 am
Originally Posted by: Polera... Also apparently my amp is auto biasing...because it converts currents...
[font=trebuchet ms]Huh??

I was right with ya until that last bit. You might want to clarify ??

Preamp tubes often last a very long time. Twenty years is not unusual. The power tubes will wear out more quickly, but one year is [u]much[/u] too soon unless you play very often, very hard, and for a long time each session. My 1977 Ampeg VT-40 applies really nasty voltages, but it's still running very strong on the original Magnavox tubes.

Do the math - that's nearly 30 years! :D

Your problem could be bad tube(s) or it could be something else. You need a [u]good[/u] tech to find the cause quickly, without wasting his time (and [u]your[/u] money) with guesswork. An amp that has been back to the shop 3 times in two years is either a factory Quality Control nightmare, or it's being worked on by an incompetent tech. Or both.

If you're talking about the Traynor YCV-80 in your sig, that should be a bullet-proof amp. Yorkville Sound has a great warranty program ("We fix it even if you break it") based on an excellent design and quality control program. There is something seriously wrong here.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/24/2005 6:50 am
Youve returned it 3 times?Sounds bad...what amp is it?

I think you mean its 'fixed bias'.You still need to bias it.definitley have it looked at by someone who knows amps...or return it a 4th time.
Try once,fail twice...
# 3
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
02/24/2005 6:53 am
This amp i made them exchange brand new 2 years ago because there was a recall on them and they said that this model had been fixed, so they gave me a new one. It has been working fine for 2 years so im gonna go with a tube problem for now... :confused: . Its a traynor cv80, sorry i got mixed up..what i wished to say was it has a feature where it is "Autobalancing bias supply means no need for matched pairs of output tubes or bias adjustments".

Anyway i can get around not bring it to a tech...im sooo poor.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/24/2005 7:39 am
[font=trebuchet ms]OK, your output tubes are cathode-biased, or 'self-biased'. So as long as none of the components have failed, it won't need any adjustment.

The bad news is that you will need to have a tech check it out. Whether that's a factory-recognised shop, or a friend-of-a-friend is up to you. I would first call a dealer to see if it might still be under warranty. If not, you have some tough decisions to make. Whatever you do, you should probably stop using it until you get it fixed. This kind of problem does not get better on it's own.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.