Justifying high end gear

chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/22/2005 4:57 am
Ok...i'm debating(with myself)if my skill as a guitarist warrants stepping up to high end gear...No more korean made guitars,cheapo cables and low end solid state amps.I'm talking USA jacksons/ESP's,high end mogami/monster cables,Engl/Marshall/Mesa Tube amps and rack equipment.(I'm not saying for the sake of having the best,just whatever ellicits quality,reliability,playability and good sound)

The dilemma is...will I ever go somewhere with my talent?Does the expense of such equipment 'obligate' me to succeed?...an even bigger question...would the lack of such equipment limit me to options and possible gigs(I think it would)?

I ask because I know my family would think it foolish of me to buy such expensive equipment.I also would like to buy a good,quality drumset,since drummers are in big demand and I know how to play(mentally),but would need practice to apply what I know to the kit physically.
Try once,fail twice...
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/22/2005 6:00 am
Start off slow and work your way up to a rack system.
No point in going all out if you have no reason to use it yet. If the time comes when you actually want to have all the bells and whistles, get the best and go with the whole Rocktron midi switching system, mesa/marshall full blown programmable EQ, power conditioned setup.
Meantime, start with the Guitar/amp/cables etc... and gradually add one piece at a time.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/22/2005 12:12 pm
Would owning it make you happy ?

If the answer is yes, well there you go, go get it !

My TSL has yet to play its first gig. Do I regret it ? No, not for a second. Do I enjoy playing through it ? well yep it sounds great !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
02/22/2005 2:29 pm
I agree with simon...dont put yourself in the poor house but if it makes u happy and is plossable, go for it.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/22/2005 2:37 pm
Dude, if it makes you feel better my next purchases will be:

An Avalon Design Tube Pre (2k) and a Focusrite Octapre with an ADAT light-pipe card (1.5k) and then possibly a Numann U87 (3.5k).

7K.... Damn !

I'm not going to kill my self to get 'em but just plan, save and then do it.
Saying that Im not going to run out an put them on my Visa card either !

Will they ever pay for them selves?

Well I doubt it !

However I will enjoy playing through them and listening to the sounds they capture.

That said if something more important comes along, they will be put on hold.
# 5
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/22/2005 7:55 pm
Thanks for your support...I should have my drumset completed around my birthday(april 24th) so that will be a step in the right direction.Big demand for good drummers and i'm definitley going to take advantage of that...I see myself practicing all summer(guitar too).
Try once,fail twice...
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/22/2005 8:43 pm
I fully agree with the good Doctor. People think I'm crazy for spending the amound of money on gear that I do, but it makes me happy, and that's all that matters. Just don't hurt yourself by doing it, i.e. putting yourself in the hole debt wise. I say, that if it makes you happy, and you can afford to do it, get whatever you want.

A word of caution though... once you get a bad case of GAS, it really never goes away :( , but it's fun trying to make it go away by buying new gear :D
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/23/2005 1:02 am
Well, I am going to post to say basically the same thing. What I did in such a situation was I considered how much I had grown as a musician and decided what I felt I deserved. After making the decision I saved for a long ass time. Do what they say, don't put yourself in the hole. Just stash some cash on the side and you'll have it before you know it. I almost continued saving for a $1800 guitar but decided that I wasn't that good yet.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 8
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/23/2005 5:29 am
NUTS TO DRUMS!I'm buying a guitar rig!...stupid indicisions!
Try once,fail twice...
# 9
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
02/23/2005 6:31 am
my dilema is a little different... I bought a bunch of crap entry-level equipment, just so I could get started... but I will upgrade piece by piece... but I'm not going to get a mediocre amp, then a slightly better one, then another slightly better one, I'm just going to save until I can get the "best"... funny thing is.. if I do it that way, then I will eventually be playing a $150 guitar through a $1300 amp... I can't wait to hear how that sounds! lol
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 10
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/23/2005 7:54 pm
I couldn't tell you how a $150 guitar through a $1300 amp sounds per se..? But later tonight I'll be telling you all how a $1200 guitar sounds through a $300 amp.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 11
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/24/2005 4:28 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon...(2k)...
...(1.5k)...
...(3.5k)...

That would have to be the ohmage, right?
Right? :eek:
# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/24/2005 5:26 pm
I wish !!

Man my gas is worse than ever !
# 13
Godly_Page
Godly_Page
03/05/2005 5:44 pm
I'm in a similar boat and I feel as if I'd have some serious buyer's remorse if I started doing that.

I'm a noobie to GT, been around for a couple of years, but only really applying the GT lessons/techniques to my playing now.

I've also been playing guitar since 1993. (IMAGINE the bad habits I have to kick!!) I currently play an Epiphone Les Paul bought in 1995/6 (I really can't remember exactly) And old Peavey Renown with twin 12's is my amp and some shoddy patch cables. Now, I'm not the greatest, nor will I ever be as long as Jimmy Page's songs can still be heard, but I don't play gigs and don't have any real inclination to do so at this point in time.

Would you still save up to buy the Jimmy Page Signature Les Paul if he was the reason you even picked up a guitar?

You might be wondering why I'm even furthering my guitar skill at this point. Well, if I do purchase the JP LP than I want to make sure I can very well darn play it with the best of 'em.

My dilemma is if I get a nice STANDARD for about a third of the cost of JP's Signature guitar I won't be as happy with it.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.