Tremelo bridge and tuning

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/17/2005 4:30 am
Ok, I'm not sure 100% on what my guitar's worth. I'd give a roundabout estimate of 600-700. I bought it used, it's a Mexican Fender Strat with a Fender tremelo bridge on it. Thing is that when I use it, especially excessively, the tuning goes out on the strings especially the G string, other strings go flat or sharp a tad. Is it just a subpar mediocre bridge or can I tweak it in some way to make the tuning stay. Also thing is I'm no guitar mechanic and I"m not exactly willing to risk the life of my currently best guitar unless I've got a sure shot at it. Any suggestions?
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/17/2005 7:10 am
[font=trebuchet ms]You can do some small tweaks (like slacking off the strings one-at-a-time and rubbing the tip of a sharp pencil in the nut slots - cheap graphite lube), but the tuning problem is an inescapable result of the design. Some very complicated attempts to address this issue (like the Floyd Rose trems) are better at holding tune, but [u]all[/u] trem designs are the net result of someone's choices and compromises.

You could have a tech do some work on it, like installing locking tuners and opening up the nut slots a bit. These things will help a bit, but there will always be some string slippage.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/17/2005 7:58 am
Really,after looking at all the roller bridges,locking tuners,slick nuts,roller nuts,slippery sauces and other stuff,you really begin to appreciate the floyd design...its a pain,but it works and with a proper setup it is a joy...

The best thing to increase tuning stability on you guitar would be

1.locking tuners
2.graphite nut,earvana nut or 'lsr roller nut'
3.Graphtech saddles for the bridge
4.Big ben's nut sauce or other lubricant

Even with the above,don't expect to have a whammy machine..you'll be able to get away with light trem use or mabey a divebomb here and there if your lucky.
Try once,fail twice...
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.