I am left handed please help

IbanezRox
IbanezRox
04/02/2001 4:49 pm
I dont know how many of you unfourtunate souls are out there but i have some questions/concerns?

1. Do the biggies(Fender, Gibson, Ibanez) make GOOD left handed quitars.

2. What about fiipping the right handed guitar around and restringing it(did Hendrix and many others do that or is that just a look?)

Thank you people
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
04/03/2001 4:12 am

I knew a left-handed guitarist a while back. He just flipped the guitar around and played everything upside down.

It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen.
# 2
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
04/03/2001 6:15 am
Although it looks cool, and i'd like to buy a lefty strat to and play it right handed one of these days, but the cutaway unless it's a guitar with an equal-sided cutaway(like the santana prs or hamer satf or like the ibanez's with the huge extended cutaways like most of the rg's i believe) will kinda inhibit you from playing the higher frets and get's kinda frustrating. I don't see why the lefty guitars will sound worse than righties. They may be even better cause they aren't produced and cranked out in higher quantities than the right handed guitars, but hey i don't know nothing about that. But my theory kinda sounds interesting.
"Take my hand boss"
# 3
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
04/03/2001 3:19 pm
If you're just barely learning then you should just learn to play right handed. Simple as that. And don't come back and say, "But it feels more natural to play left handed,". No it doesn't. If you're just starting out nothing "feels" natural. As a matter of fact if I play left handed right now it feels exactly the same as when I first started playing. Trust me, it'll be a whole lot easier in the long run if you just learn right handed.
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 4
trendkillah
trendkillah
04/03/2001 7:23 pm
I'm left handed, play guitar right handed.
Works fine for me, hehe.

I'm sure this would not be the case for every left handed person though. Glad it did for me, left handed guitars are a bitch to find.
My advice, see if playing right handed seems possible. If it doesn't, get a left handed guitar, cause you wont get the same playing comfort from a flipped over right hand guitar. All brands make lefties, wich are just as good, but shops just don't stock them cause they don't sell well.(for some weird reason, the right handed freaks outnumber us man!) ;)

Greetz, TK
# 5
bigmarty
bigmarty
04/03/2001 11:41 pm
I agree with trend killah here,try it right handed and see how it goes from there.I'm lefthanded aand I play right handed.For me it was just a case of the stronger hand on the fretboard.I also read certain rock players did it that way as well( Gary Moore and Rik Emmett). But give it a shot and let us know.
Can we have everything louder than everything else???
# 6
loner92
loner92
04/04/2001 5:26 am
I'm left handed, but I play guitar right handed. I don't see why it would matter, you use both hands to play anyways.

# 7
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
04/04/2001 5:56 am
i know loner, never really understood that. if a righty is more dexterious with his right hand wouldn't it be logical that his right hand would fret the notes instead of picking em with it? Hmmmmm?
"Take my hand boss"
# 8
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/04/2001 12:30 pm
Yeah, I'm left handed but play guitar right handed. the way I see it, it takes more dexterity with the left hand than with the right, though it helps to be dextrous in both. however, I don't necessarily agree with the "try it right handed" sentiment. I've known people who have been restricted in their playing before being encouraged to go left handed, then they got a lot better. Try what is natural, and look aroun for a lefty.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.